oil price

Jerry Roberts

A 5 quart jug of Pennzoil at Auto Zone = $28 .  Same oil at Walmart = $18 . My neighbor the gearhead says he always buys his oil at Walmart . They have a good selection . There must be a huge markup in oil prices at the chain auto parts stores . Walmart orders big quantities at a discount but the chains can do that too . 

volume is one thing....distribution is another....you see many more Walmart trucks on the road than any marked 
Autozone.....contracting delivery verse having your own transport logistics in place would be a factor and well, greed comes in also.  Price that oil at your dealership....:eek:

• Like 1

Plymouthy is correct on the greed issue. The same product at ACE will be much less than at the auto stores, at least where I live. 

Im headed there this morning for one thing, oil! 

Edited by pflaming

I wait for sale prices then I stock up and buy a year's worth. For all my vehicles.  I do this for engine oil and oil filters as well. I have the room so can do this. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3

Walmart is cheaper, I buy most of my oil there but man do I hate going in there. If I want to get good and mad, just let me try to run in Walmart "right quick". I'll have a plan, going to grab 3  in items, know where they are, going to run in grab them and go. I hurry in the door at a mall walkers pace, then fall in behind an old lady that's slow as mollasis  in winter. Then I can't pass her because  beside her is some drama queen is bitchin' about what Billy Joe posted on Facebook.   When I finally get around that mess a kid riding a bike in the store wrecks at my feet. Somewhere in the race my wife sends a text to pick up some kind of odd things that are hard to find.  I find the wife's items and probably get the wrong thing. Then I see someone that got fired at work (caught red handed ) and have to listen to him tell how they had it in for him from the start. Then I grab what I came after, fight my way to a register. Finally I make my purchase and get out swearing to never return. 

Yea I run Mobil 1 in my 91 Chevy truck, have saved as much as 4-5 bucks a jug on it there. Some oils I need I have to go to other places cause they don't carry it. Like the Valvoline VR I run in my shovel, Evo and Plymouth.  When I do go to Walmart I will get several oil changes. The Valvoline I've stockpiled because I used to buy ail of  it at Autozone next to work. They quit carrying it and a guy that worked there told me they quit making it. I almost freaked out, I'm a big fan of it. Looked around town, no one had it but NAPA. I asked the guy there about availability, he said not to worry always kept a good stock of it. He used it in his drag car and no they had not discontinued it.

• Like 2

I buy oil and filters at Pep Boys when they run a coupon rebate special of 5 quarts of oil and a filter for $9.99-12.99 (prices vary).  The oil choices are usually Pennzoil, Quaker State, or Castrol.  It's an online rebate so no paperwork to fiddle with.  Been doing this for many years.