Leaf Spring options

ThriftyT

Do you have a spring shop in your area? If you do they can re-arch or de-arch your springs to your specs and are usually pretty reasonable. Having a 2" lean to one side I would venture a guess that you have a broken spring on that side or the person who owned the car before you was extremely heavy.

No we don't, unfortunately.   The passenger spring is not original and drivers is.  I would rather replace both so I know I'm level and safe.   

I will look them up.  Thanks 

waiting on a quote from eaton

29 minutes ago, bobd1976 said:

Call these folks .http://www.springsnthings.com/        I got my 48 P15 leafs from them. They have them in different height options. 

live chat for pricing was very quick  $340. for the pair rear leafs for a 51 plymouth cranbrook $85. for both front coils 

Edited by LazyK

1 hour ago, ThriftyT said:

I've done quite a bit of research and everything is a bit muddled.   

What are drop leaf spring options?

All I've found are posies at $400+

40-48 coupe particularly

got a 2" lean to my driver side.   

Yeah but those Posie Superslides are so nice to drive on.  For a few bucks more than your quote, it might be worth it.

Adam

5 hours ago, ThriftyT said:

I've done quite a bit of research and everything is a bit muddled.   

What are drop leaf spring options?

All I've found are posies at $400+

40-48 coupe particularly

got a 2" lean to my driver side.   

Call around to local big truck repair garages. They don't really advertise it,but they re-arch and replace broken springs all the time. Nothing breaks springs like dump trucks.

Or do what I did and check with J.C.Whitney. They had the cheapest prices on new springs and shackles when I needed rear springs for my P-15

7 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Call around to local big truck repair garages. They don't really advertise it,but they re-arch and replace broken springs all the time. Nothing breaks springs like dump trucks.

Or do what I did and check with J.C.Whitney. They had the cheapest prices on new springs and shackles when I needed rear springs for my P-15

I'm actually a salesman for inland truck parts. Ha.  We're pretty much the only truck outfit for a long ways.  We offer new leafs but that's it.  

10 minutes ago, ThriftyT said:

I'm actually a salesman for inland truck parts. Ha.  We're pretty much the only truck outfit for a long ways.  We offer new leafs but that's it.  

That doesn't mean repair shops that fix dump trucks won't have or can't get them.

5 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

That doesn't mean repair shops that fix dump trucks won't have or can't get them.

That's what we do. We fix dump trucks. Only shop around that does.  I'm a salesman that drives around trying to find truck shops.  

12 minutes ago, ThriftyT said:

That's what we do. We fix dump trucks. Only shop around that does.  I'm a salesman that drives around trying to find truck shops.  

I stand corrected. There must be a half-dozen different big truck repair garages around here that re-arc tired springs,make new ones,etc,etc,etc. I just assumed it was that way everywhere,which proves once again it isn't safe to assume anything.

BTW,I checked with J.C.Whitney,and they no longer carry the springs.

23 hours ago, ThriftyT said:

My work buys truck parts from Inland daily. We're in Frontenac, Ks. and we get our spring work done in Joplin, Mo..

20 hours ago, ThriftyT said:

Pretty good company    

I think I'm going to go with posies.  

I have Posies under my '39 Plym conv cpe. they work great, I also put them under my brothers '54 Chevy.

The rear springs under my '39 have a two inch drop. I made special  "C" shaped shackles for the rear of of the spring in lieu of the Chrysler style of "U" shaped shackles.

39 Plym shack 3.jpg

The redesigned rear shackles that I used on my '39 Plym allowed me to use a little heavier rear spring to compensate for the rumble seat my convertible has, I was able to use modern bushings in both the upper and lower positions of the shackles.Since the Plymouths use such a long spring, which the original "u" shaped shackle allows for in order to prevent bottoming out of the shackle on the rear cross member of the frame. My redesigned "C" shaped shackle also eliminates interference with the cross member. Wm.

Thrifty, nice car...have a question.....from the pic of your car it looks like it has the chrome "caps" at the front of the running boards.....is this so?.........and were they original to this car?............I have a pair on my 1940 Dodge which I removed from a 1940 Chrysler Sedan about 40yrs ago.........it was a straight 8 car however I have no idea what series it was as it was a complete basket case and the guy that told me about it wanted the engine for his 1938 Imperial Limo and I have no idea whatever happened to the engine to check the series number on the engine block............I have never seen another pair of these running board caps here in Oz, admittedly I have only ever seen 2 other 1940 Chryslers here in Oz, both were 6 cylinder cars and neither had these running board caps...........when its all said & done it doesn't really make any difference what series they are from, its just that my pair are the only ones I've seen since I started playing with 1940 mopars, Dodges in particular in 1969.............lol...........anyway here is a pic of my ol' brown turd, this is its best side as it shows the NOS 1941 Plymouth running board I got from a guy in the US with the lovely, not flaking rubber..........lol ............regards, Andy Douglas  

P1000705 (800x600).jpg

19 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Thrifty, nice car...have a question.....from the pic of your car it looks like it has the chrome "caps" at the front of the running boards.....is this so?.........and were they original to this car?............I have a pair on my 1940 Dodge which I removed from a 1940 Chrysler Sedan about 40yrs ago.........it was a straight 8 car however I have no idea what series it was as it was a complete basket case and the guy that told me about it wanted the engine for his 1938 Imperial Limo and I have no idea whatever happened to the engine to check the series number on the engine block............I have never seen another pair of these running board caps here in Oz, admittedly I have only ever seen 2 other 1940 Chryslers here in Oz, both were 6 cylinder cars and neither had these running board caps...........when its all said & done it doesn't really make any difference what series they are from, its just that my pair are the only ones I've seen since I started playing with 1940 mopars, Dodges in particular in 1969.............lol...........anyway here is a pic of my ol' brown turd, this is its best side as it shows the NOS 1941 Plymouth running board I got from a guy in the US with the lovely, not flaking rubber..........lol ............regards, Andy Douglas  

P1000705 (800x600).jpg

I think it was a factory option.  I will look in my factory accessory book and check.