I would like to see a B&B carburetor with governor.

When using the governor you are adding another joining of two parts that need to be air tight so with the carb only you have a gasket between the carb and manifold, with the governor fitted you need the gasket between the manifold and gov. and then another between the gov. and carb. Just as you would if you put a phenolic spacer between the carb and manifold. 

12 minutes ago, greg g said:

When using the governor you are adding another joining of two parts that need to be air tight so with the carb only you have a gasket between the carb and manifold, with the governor fitted you need the gasket between the manifold and gov. and then another between the gov. and carb. Just as you would if you put a phenolic spacer between the carb and manifold. 

GMC governor

Imagem 960.jpg

Governador corrigido em 22 set 12.jpg

3 hours ago, Batterzazu said:

Not a great picture but here is a governor. I have my base plate out to have the throttle shaft bushed.

IMG_4107.JPG

who is doing that bushing? also if you don't mind what is the approximate cost?

I was having a friend do it but he has had it for about 5 weeks. I am going to get it back and use epoxy or JB Weld to bush it for now. I would think that The Carburetor Shop in Forest Lake could do it in a timely fashion though.

http://thecarburetorshopus.com/

Scott

• Like 1

Does anyone have information on how these governors function? Are they speed limiting? I don't see them being able to maintain a constant speed as there is no feedback linkage. I've been seeing several of them lately here on the forum, but I don't ever recall seeing/reading what their purpose is, or how they work exactly.

30 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Does anyone have information on how these governors function? Are they speed limiting? I don't see them being able to maintain a constant speed as there is no feedback linkage. I've been seeing several of them lately here on the forum, but I don't ever recall seeing/reading what their purpose is, or how they work exactly.

Same doubt I still have.I will try to scan some about GMC governor.

Typically these were speed limiting devices.  Probably more to limit peak rpm to prevent engine damage more than to control road speed. So they would allow the carburetor to function normally allowing proper reaction to road conditions, but only up to a preset limit probably around 3000 rpm for gas engines.  At that point they would either control throttle position,  fuel flow through the main jet or introducing metered air below the carb throttle to lean the mixture. All of which would act as a rev limiter.  

These are different than governors on stationary engines that want to work within a narrowly defined rpm band,where throttle position needs to be adjusted by work load variations to stay at or near the prescribed rpm.

King Seeley built these units as fitted to these old trucks.  Dodgeb4ya posted some information on these a bit back, I did not read the pages but here is a link....I am sure if you do an internet search on these you may find additional information.  My truck military parts manual states only that if there is a need for service or parts to contact King Seeley direct and supplied their address in the manual

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

30 minutes ago, greg g said:

Typically these were speed limiting devices.  Probably more to limit peak rpm to prevent engine damage more than to control road speed. So they would allow the carburetor to function normally allowing proper reaction to road conditions, but only up to a preset limit probably around 3000 rpm for gas engines.  At that point they would either control throttle position,  fuel flow through the main jet or introducing metered air below the carb throttle to lean the mixture. All of which would act as a rev limiter.  

These are different than governors on stationary engines that want to work within a narrowly defined rpm band,where throttle position needs to be adjusted by work load variations to stay at or near the prescribed rpm.

23.agosto.17 348.jpg

23.agosto.17 347.jpg

So basically the opposite of a four barrel carb where high air flow opens the secondary throttle plates, this set up works to limit or oppose the main throttle plate's effect, reducing air flow and therefor the amount of gas the carb can meter.  There is probably some sort of manifold vaccum circuit the allows for wide open throttle operation during low vacuum operating conditions as evidenced by the slots in the gasket above the grooved passage in the casting. This would allow full carb enrichment for accelerating, climbing grades passing, and when necessary fully closed throttlefor compression braking and deceleration. 

OK. I kind of understand now. I did find a section in my shop manual on them, but it didn't have much more than how to adjust if needed. It did mention that the manifold vacuum had to be right before any adjustments.

Seeing Fernando's pictures above, there was no butterfly valve. So I was even more confused as to how it could limit the speed. I'm guessing the plate is missing on Fernando's governor.

13 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

OK. I kind of understand now. I did find a section in my shop manual on them, but it didn't have much more than how to adjust if needed. It did mention that the manifold vacuum had to be right before any adjustments.

Seeing Fernando's pictures above, there was no butterfly valve. So I was even more confused as to how it could limit the speed. I'm guessing the plate is missing on Fernando's governor.

Number 11 Fig 26?I never payed attention to that.

If you run them without the butterfly they are non operative and just a spacer  Removing the butterfly was the quickest way to defeat the governor.  Probably when a company sold the truck to a private party, or when a driver decided he needed a faster truck.

"It means the governor will not be effective, the engine can be reved faster, maybe even beyond the safe limits for that engine.
I suspect that the governor settings of WW2 US trucks were set artificially low, therefore, a truck with governor disabled could still be operated at somewhat higher revs by a careful driver without problems.
But, I have heard that on some engines, even a few hundred RPM over recommended has dramatically reduced engine life.
My 2 cents.

Sam".

A WWII GMC trucks forum friend answered me today.

• 2 weeks later...

by Dr Deuce » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:36 am

I run mine w/o the gov plate. 60,000 on one with no problems.

What you need to do is listen to the
engine and spedo for a bit till you can tell the rpms by the sound. It is not hard.
The data plate will tell you the max speed in any gear, use that sound
Another WWII GMC trucks forum friend answer.