seat dismantling

normanpitkin

I've got split bench seats in my DeSoto Suburban.  You can get to the second seat from the front doors, and the third seat from the back doors

The philips screw has a shoulder which acts as the outboard pivot for the seat back.  Remove the seat cushion, and you will find a nut and washer on the end of the large philips screw.  Remove the nut, and the screw should unscrew. 

The inboard pivot is a stub attached to the seat back that fits in a hole in a central bracket.   In installing the seat back, have fun fitting the stub in the hole and lining up the philips screw.  It gets easier with practice. 

Edited by DonaldSmith
typo
  • Like 1

Hard lessons relearned:  I took a seat back off today, to mess with seatbelts.  (47 Suburban seat backs work the same as for coupes and 2-door sedans - they fold forward.)

I was able to remove the nut from the back of the outer pivot (philips headed shoulder screw), without removing the seat cushion.  9/16" wrench.  But then the star washer fell off, necessitating the eventual removal of the seat cushion to retrieve the washer.  

I had the hardest time screwing the pivot back in.  Kept trying to cross-thread .  I chased the threads with a tap and die, and tried the screw with the seat back out of the way.  Big Duh!  The screw does not go in horizontally, but at an angle, so that it lines up with the center pivot.  And the seat back at rest exerts an upward force on the screw, tending to misalign it.  

So, in reinserting the screw, hold the seat back somewhat forward, away from its final position, and aim the screw slightly upward.  Start the screw by hand, run it in tight with a philips screwdriver. (There's a big washer at the head of the screw, and you have to help it stay on the larger shoulder while you tighten the screw.)

Then add the star washer and nut. Hold the screw in with some force on the screwdriver while tightening the nut.  (You have to do this with the seat cushion out of the way, but you had to move it anyway, to retrieve the star washer.) 

• Like 2