List of spares to carry on a long trip

Redmond49

Those capacity figures that I quoted are EXACTLY what Dodge and Ross Roy published for the D-24 series.

I really don't think that this forum has discovered a 71 year old error that the manufacturer and it's advertising agency have made, and then foisted on the general public. A FACT, that is not being considered, is that the Dodge Club Coupe's trunk floor IS 4" narrower than the other listed body styles!

On 8/21/2017 at 2:37 PM, greg g said:

By the way, you can not see the other ocean from Chattanooga, so while its a good shag, there is still quite a bit of America east of there....

LOL - the difference in how words are interpreted. My brain immediately went to the British / "Austin Powers" meaning of shag.

Back on topic - if your coil is an old 6v unit, take a spare. They can be hard to find. 

Rick

4 hours ago, Ricky Luke said:

LOL - the difference in how words are interpreted. My brain immediately went to the British / "Austin Powers" meaning of shag.

Back on topic - if your coil is an old 6v unit, take a spare. They can be hard to find. 

Rick

your typical 12 volt external resistor coil is the same 6 volt unit....that is why the need for the resistor when you use it on 12 volt circuits...

11 hours ago, 49D-24BusCpe said:

Those capacity figures that I quoted are EXACTLY what Dodge and Ross Roy published for the D-24 series.

Wasn't attacking your information.  There is a possibility that a typo was made all those years ago. 

10 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

your typical 12 volt external resistor coil is the same 6 volt unit....that is why the need for the resistor when you use it on 12 volt circuits...

Its a good thing they don't play a lot of baseball down under.  The practice activity of a bunch of young guys shaging flies might cause a great deal of concern...

Don't want to be waiting on AAA for small stuff, especially out in the boonies.  To honor a phrase mentioned here before. " If you are gonna have one of these things, sooner or later you are going to have to mechanic on it yourself." Most of what I carry is for a 20 minute roadside fix, if that don't cut it then the auto club gets the call.

• Like 3

My Dad bought a Ford 1.5 ton truck new in 1947, then some years later a 1938 IH 2 T truck. We hauled wheat from the field all day for 10 days on 90/100 degree heat, then in winter delivered that wheat 16 miles to sell. Into the 60's  I do not recall my dad ever tuning those trucks, service yes, and I can't recall ever breaking down, ever. I drove a '50 Plymouth to California from Western Nebraska, then all winter, then in May drove back and I never tuned that car, and never had a break down.

So I kindly ask, if not then, why now? how many of you have had a break down on the road, fuel pumps excepted, and for what reason? Just curious.

Edited by pflaming

quality of parts these days are not like back then as many folks here have made mention of.....add on top of that the fact that many parts houses do not have the item you may need to hand across the counter for the on the spot 5 minute fix....while these cars have not really changed, the times have...