Chrome T-handle under dash

iowa51

My dad passed away earlier this spring. He had several old cars and my mom asked my 16 year old nephew to try and start the ones we knew that ran and drive them around the farm as they haven't been started since last year or longer.

One of the cars is a 1950 Plymouth convertible. Under the dash to the left of the steering column is a chrome T-handle (not the parking brake which is more of a curved handle) that he pulled out thinking it was the choke. Pulled on it as it was a little stuck according to him and he pulled a little harder. It is now pulled out as far as it will go (6"?) but not so the end of the cable came out. We have tried to push it back in but it won't go. 

This car has overdrive and my '51 convertible does not. My car does not have this handle. Does it have something to do with the overdrive? How do I get the cable back in? Ok to drive?

I went out to check on it and a splash of gas down the carburetor and it started fine but didn't drive it not knowing what the T-handle did. 

How thick is the rod that the handle is attached to? By saying "hanging" there I'm wondering if it's the hood release? The overdrive handle is usually attached to a solid rod and connects to a cable about 8 inches later. Both are common to bind up if they've been sitting a long time. What part of Iowa? I'm in Des Moines. 

54 minutes ago, plyroadking said:

How thick is the rod that the handle is attached to? By saying "hanging" there I'm wondering if it's the hood release? The overdrive handle is usually attached to a solid rod and connects to a cable about 8 inches later. Both are common to bind up if they've been sitting a long time. What part of Iowa? I'm in Des Moines. 

Maybe longer than 6" out. The metal rod is all the way out and the cable is exposed. 

Mason City.  I see you have a 1957 IH My dad also had (It is my mom's now) a 1957 IH, it is a "Golden Jubilee" model with the gold/white paint and fancy box.

'

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike36 said:

If you have an overdrive question, listen to plyroadking. He KNOWS of which he speaks.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! but I'm just a simple minded turner of wrenches

That would be the overdrive cable then, sounds like the clamp that holds the cable jacket probably let the jacket slip. There's a bracket that mounts to the bottom bolt for the solenoid, you'll have to jack up the car to get to it. Usually it's a Phillips head and a 3/8" or 5/16" nut. You'll have slide the jacket back up and reclamp it at the end. It could also be that the cable pulled out of the pivot on the engage/disengage lever. Both are pretty easy fixes but you'll have to jack the car up.

I wish my 57 ih was a jubilee, it's the 8.5 foot fleet side. I bought it because it was 3/4 ton, 4x4, and only $450. Brake drums are unobtainable so it's now got 70s chevy 3/4 axles and 35" nondirectional tread military tires. just have to do brakes and steering till I drive it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, plyroadking said:

That would be the overdrive cable then, sounds like the clamp that holds the cable jacket probably let the jacket slip. There's a bracket that mounts to the bottom bolt for the solenoid, you'll have to jack up the car to get to it. Usually it's a Phillips head and a 3/8" or 5/16" nut. You'll have slide the jacket back up and reclamp it at the end. It could also be that the cable pulled out of the pivot on the engage/disengage lever. Both are pretty easy fixes but you'll have to jack the car up.

Thanks for the reply and help.

Is it OK to drive it like this? Would rather work on it in my own garage than out at the farm.