Who knows answer this question?

Hey Fernando. How are you doing? I was wondering if you might know this question. Do you know what the torque specs for oil pan bolts are. I was thinking it was 23 but wanted to make sure. That's for my 251 

Something this table?

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/bolts/US-Recommended-Torque.aspx

I searched online: max. torque values-bolts by size/thread

I believe if you to also want something like this for metric sizes I would just add to above, -metric  This search should get you that info.

Hope that helps

DJ

2 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Something this table?

I believe if you to also want something like this for metric sizes I would just add to above, -metric  This search should get you that info.

Hope that helps

DJ

I don't believe maximum torque value applies in this application. If you tighten the oil pan bolts to maximum torque it will flatten the gasket and insure a lot of leaks. This is one of those touchy freely applications.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

I don't believe maximum torque value applies in this application. If you tighten the oil pan bolts to maximum torque it will flatten the gasket and insure a lot of leaks. This is one of those touchy freely applications.

Concur with this. My experience has also been that the flange on the pan is not all that resistant to being deformed by cranking down (up?) on the attaching bolts which then makes future attempts to get it leak free more difficult. I did not own a speed wrench until very recently, but it seems like a good tool for this in that it is quick and you will have to try pretty hard with it to tighten the pan bolts too much. I've done it in the past with the shortest handled 3/8" drive I have and then choking up on it to avoid putting too much torque. I guess if I had a 1/4" socket set I would use that. Just go around the pan multiple times being gentle each time.

I have done three engines using the pattern and sequence similar to the cylinder head.  Start by putting the bolts in hand tight with the appropriate socket on medium extension.  Then working out from the center using the center out pattern, turning each a half turn with a short handled 3/8 ratchet. Then after adding oil, starting, running up to op temp, checking for leaks and cooling down add another 1/4 turn following the same pattern.  3X no leaks.

11 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Something this table?

Hope that helps

DJ

Thanks for your help.

16 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Some things have a torque specification and some do not. I use a speed wrench on oil pan gaskets and only tighten enough to slightly squeeze the cork gasket.

P4090001_1.jpg

I listened that actual(today) cork is not good quality like past(yesterday) cork.Is it true?

Cork has always been too easy to over tighten. If you crush it, it's going to leak. Don said it right.