1948 dodge custom needing engine rebuild d24 engine

MACS

anyone have a good resource for an engine rebuilder for my customers 1948 dodge custom with 230 engine  (d24)  our local machine shop could do it but i wanted to compare with someone who could just send me the rebuilt engine so i wouldnt have to wait so long.  also pricing for a rebuilt 230 would be great for a reference, thanks

Maybe your experiences are different than mine,but unless it was a nationally-recognized chain that specializes in engine rebuilds and has a good reputation,I prefer to have it done locally for 2 reasons.

1: I like to support local businesses if possible

2: If things are not as they are supposed to be,I have found that placing my hands around the evil-doers neck helps to eliminate any confusion  about a refund. When I was younger I was willing to travel hundreds of miles if necessary to discuss matters face to face,but I just don't have that much patience or time anymore.

People have a tendency to tell you anything they need to tell you to get you off the telephone,but that's a lot harder for them to do when you are standing in front of them.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 1:02 PM, casper50 said:

MACS my local shop did my complet 230 rebuild to include everything internal new except for the crank for $1400.  And that's in Alaska.  Everything is more expensive in Alaska and Hawaii.

Can you show us the paper work?

6 minutes ago, pflaming said:

Eight years ago, short block redo was $3,000.00 here in central California. That was when I purchased a service manual. It's not rocket science, just tend to details. 

Paper work?

18 hours ago, OLDMOPAR84 said:

not for nothing here is ny new york they get about 6000 to do a flathead soupe to nuts. in alaska things are different .

Would like to see paper work. Customer in LA CA just spent 15k for a complete rebuild for his 38 Dodge pickup.

3 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Paper work?

My quotation was verbal, so sorry.  I just do not understand some prices but then I have not seen what was done? If the engine had a cracked crank, if the work called for expensive cam, dual carbs, precision positions and rods, etc, etc, I suppose a rebuild could be very expensive. 

21 hours ago, OLDMOPAR84 said:

not for nothing here is ny new york they get about 6000 to do a flathead soupe to nuts. in alaska things are different .

Your neighbor used to post here quite a lot..just kidding Joel was a good guy he just hasn't visited in 7 years.

http://p15-d24.com/profile/366-joel-torres/

6 hours ago, pflaming said:

Eight years ago, short block redo was $3,000.00 here in central California. That was when I purchased a service manual. It's not rocket science, just tend to details. 

It is rocket science. You would not believe the shabby work that comes through our doors from other machine shops. Just saying. We have shops that grind cranks and they do not clean the oil galleys, that is one little example. Rods installed wrong. Cam bearings installed wrong. Piston ring gaps and side clearance not set to specs. Bores not parallel or decks ground at an angle. I could go on and on. STOP!!

4 hours ago, pflaming said:

Dave, I stand corrected. I guess I was assuming people read the manuals. 

Paul. See you at the BBQ, I always look forward to again meeting the Gold-country Bear! 

Manuals do not tell you how to rebuild.

5 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Manuals do not tell you how to rebuild.

Sure they do. Or at least some of them do. The Motors Auto Repair Manual,for one.

1 hour ago, 40plyguy said:

Merle. I'll tell you Dave will probably do that again for abt the same amt. I paid $40 for head milling and $85 for crank grinding from him recently.

Didn't you tell me he's retired, or semi-retired now? Loosing another good shop for old engines.