Motor transport stand

Greg F

Evening guys,

I'm going to transport a  engine with the transmission attached, and would like to build a stand to keep them upright in the back of the truck.  I do not have the car currently, so I cannot get the measurements that way.  Anyone have approximate dimensions of a wood stand I can build to transport the engine?  If not guess I can lean it up against the side with a few bags of mulch.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the silly question.

Greg

Don.........that is really good that you took pics of the stand and also had the forethought to write the measurements on it...........I would mention you in dispatches for this.........even tho I have no need for this I pass on my thanks......Andy Douglas 

• Like 1

Here is how I did mine to transport an engine from Denver back to Dallas. Used 2X6 lumber to build a rectangle that was about 5.5 or 6 feet long and about 14 inches between the side rails. Put a couple of short pieces on the inside of the rails where the bellhousing mounting bolts were and a cross brace under the tail of the transmission. Used lag screws to put it all together. Also put triangular blocks on each corner and added casters. I don't remember the exact dimensions as this was a few years back, but I just took the lumber with me and built the frame on the spot using dimensions measured off the actual engine. Took me less than an hour to build using a hand saw if I had been able to use a circular saw would have been a lot quicker. 

This design allowed me to screw into the top of the rails through the motor mount and through the bellhousing mounting hole into the blocks mentioned above to secure the engine to the frame. As you can see I even used the frame after rebuilding the engine to move it around the garage until I installed it in the car. With the casters it came in pretty handy. 

190540-1275517414-0666fedd36935656d90063ef32aeb99c.jpg

190539-1275517414-5ebae7664fc2a798c4927856710af7e8.jpg

Edited by hkestes41

I don't have any pics or measurements off hand - but I've built a couple different styles for these engines. I've found that basically building a box with tall sides that support the oil pan rails on both sides seems to work best. I have that mounted to a pallet with a couple of ratchet strap locations to secure it down. Of course I also have easy ways of handling pallets so that also drove that decision.

Y'all are a lot more particular then I am, mine ride on the rubber cushion of an old tire. But then none of the ones I've hauled look as nice as the ones pictured either. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2017 at 7:47 PM, Don Coatney said:

This might or might not help.

wood.jpg

I should have known that Mr Coatney wood not only have the dimensions but also a photo to go along with it.

I always used a couple old tires and some ratchet straps.

Don, I've sawn this pic before.........wood it have gone o/k?.........don't worry I've gone back in my corner....andyd

• Like 3

On 8/19/2017 at 1:44 PM, Greg F said:

Thanks guys, a lot of great ideas.  Will put something together close with a few extra pieces of lumber to make adjustments when I get there. Thanks!

HK: Hope to see your car someday at a show around DFW. 

Unfortunately, I sold the car to a guy in Tyler back in the spring.