rack n pinion?

I have, out of an Omni/Rampage...only reason I mention the rampage is you want a rack with the return line NOT on the top of the tube.  If you do a search I think you'll find my topic on my install.  Been in a few years, very happy with it.

• Like 1

After seeing the work and bracketry 4mula had to do, I am wondering if something from the offroad world would work good in this application. They now make electric power steering boxes that hook up with a whopping 3 wires and are self contained with the computer and such. It would splice in on the steering column in the engine bay and be pretty simple overall. Not sure how much the Omni rack plus pump, hoses, brackets and joints would be. These run around 700 or so. (I am pretty sure these are just adapted out of modern GM vehicles)

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ac498700&Store_Code=PC&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 2

That's the first ones I've seen that are weather resistant. That's always been the down side from what I've read. You weren't able to mount them outside of the cab, and there typically isn't a good location for it in the cab. I'd be very interested to see how that would work, grafted into the shaft between the steering wheel and the original steering box.

I was at a car show recently when a fella showed me his 2 Mini's which were both fitted with electric power steering. The difference in ease of steering was amazing just with the flick of the ignition switch. I wondered if one of these systems could be installed in an old MOPAR truck. I will watch with great interest is someone her chooses to install one.

1 hour ago, 59bisquik said:

After seeing the work and bracketry 4mula had to do, I am wondering if something from the offroad world would work good in this application. They now make electric power steering boxes that hook up with a whopping 3 wires and are self contained with the computer and such. It would splice in on the steering column in the engine bay and be pretty simple overall. Not sure how much the Omni rack plus pump, hoses, brackets and joints would be. These run around 700 or so. (I am pretty sure these are just adapted out of modern GM vehicles)

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ac498700&Store_Code=PC&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

I considered one of these, but it seemed most were for much lighter fwd cars, so it seemed like it might tax the system too much with the added weight of my truck and my large front tires.  There are some other ones on the market from companies like Ididit but a whole lot more $ and all under dash mounted which I really don't think would fit or look good under the truck dash.

My rack was about $200, pump around $80 on RockAuto and with hoses and fittings maybe another $75-80 and then I built all my own bracketry out of 1/4" and 1/8" plate.  The tie rod adapters maybe cost another $100 because I paid for them to be drilled on a lathe.

Lots of work, but well worth it in the first small parking space or spot where someone blocks you in

Edited by 4mula-dlx
  • Like 1