New to the Forum

jhmagill

Hello all.

New to the forum and new(ish) to the Mopar cars. Long time car nut with a small collection of antique cars and trucks along with a few newer. collectible cars. I recently found and bought a 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe. It is in VERY complete condition but in need of restoration. I do have a question for all the experts out there, seeing that I am new to the Mopar family this may be a stupid question. The car I bought is a "51" but the dash which is original looks to be a "50". It has the correct gauges as well as the painted wood grain finish for a 1950 car. Is this an anomaly or was this a common this?

Thanks 

Jim

3 minutes ago, jhmagill said:

Hello all.

New to the forum and new(ish) to the Mopar cars. Long time car nut with a small collection of antique cars and trucks along with a few newer. collectible cars. I recently found and bought a 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe. It is in VERY complete condition but in need of restoration. I do have a question for all the experts out there, seeing that I am new to the Mopar family this may be a stupid question. The car I bought is a "51" but the dash which is original looks to be a "50". It has the correct gauges as well as the painted wood grain finish for a 1950 car. Is this an anomaly or was this a common this?

Thanks 

Jim

Sounds like either it's really a 50 or someone has been swapping stuff around on you. 

check your body numbers.....the 51's that I have seen has never had the earlier gauges unless as Young Ed stated, it suited a builders fancy....some states issued titles for year sold, could this be your error as per the paperwork and you indeed have a 50..pics will help...grille and trunk should tell a lot also....hard to miss that frowning catfish 51/52 grille

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I really don't believe things have been swapped around. Will a 1951 front clip fit on a 50 body?

1 minute ago, jhmagill said:

I really don't believe things have been swapped around. Will a 1951 front clip fit on a 50 body?

Not very well. Causes issues lining up the hood etc. 

well, it is defiantly a 51 front end, I don't have pictures yet of the dash. I still need to pick the car up and bring it home. I do have pictures of the car. The guy I bought if from was going to restore it and started removing the trim but it looks to all be there.

Resized_20170807_154132.jpg

Resized_20170807_154155.jpg

Resized_20170807_154213.jpg

Very cool!... I was surprised when the guy said he would sell it. Usually when I find a car or truck hidden away in a tractor shed or a barn the owner is "Going to fix it up".... 

3 hours ago, John Reddie said:

Welcome jhmagill. Quick question, does your 1935 Chevrolet have the suicide doors on the front and a rear mounted spare wheel?

John

Yes it does spare mounted on rear. Suicide doors on the rear.

Edited by jhmagill

4 hours ago, jhmagill said:

well, it is defiantly a 51 front end, I don't have pictures yet of the dash. I still need to pick the car up and bring it home. I do have pictures of the car. The guy I bought if from was going to restore it and started removing the trim but it looks to all be there.

That car has the 3 green round gauges? If so someone did some swapping!  

The car is definitely a '51..I have one too.  If it's a '51 dashboard, the ignition switch is on  right side of the steering wheel.  In 1950 it was on the left.

I had a similar identity situation when I got my '51.  The seller claimed to have a '50 and a '51 Plymouth business coupe.  When I got to his place, I saw two 1950's.  Turns out someone managed to get a '50 front clip onto the '51.  The front edge of both doors was bent in a little bit in one spot for the doors to be able to open.

Best of luck with the car!

Recently I have been wondering if it is possible to put a 50 dash into a 51 body which is wider across the windshield and hood. as mentioned earlier the doors are different too in that the fender line is less pronounced on the 51.  Since I have both a 51 body and a 50 dash I am going to  try it and see how it fits. My thoughts are that it probably will with a minimum of modification.   in my opinion, the new for 51 dash was not as attractive as the 50's.