50 Dodge Dying?

meadowbrook

Just happened on the highway but I made it home,  oil pressure was not affected not did the car lose power but now under load at low revs I don't hear it until I go past 2000 rpm or so. Then when I coast or the  engine spins back down I hear it at a much higher rate.

The sound is like a valve ticking but   On overrun it's like a playing card on bicycle spokes. 

It's coming from the front half of the  engine and I also saw sometimes puffs of white smoke from the draft tube, again on overrun. 

Rod bearing? Valve keepers/spring? Broken piston or rings?

I will do that. I'd like to add that I pulled each spark plug wire to see if any cylinder was the culprit but the noise did not change. I'll post a video but basically at idle it sounds normal

As I slowly rev it you hear random clicking , then when I let go and it slows down you hear very rapid ticking until it again reaches idle and the ticks go away.

Engine smoothness  is unaffected and oil pressure   is the same as before, about 20 at idle and 45 at anything above 2000 rpm. 

Temperature is normal too

Edited by meadowbrook

I'd suspect a worn rod bearing or wrist pin being that your noise is present a lower RPMs and comes in when off of load. Also the build up of oil pressure from a lower pressure into a normal operating range is suspect of parts out of clearance. I would check with what weight oil your using and add what greater weight of oil you can safely run in your temperature region to assist in taking up the greater clearances. The safest way is to drop the oil pan and break out the feeler gauge and manual. (just my 2 cents to start off on)

Edited by Blaine

drop your belt from generator and water pump and verify if sound is still there...noise has a way of playing tricks on your ear as to where they are coming from...rule out the simple stuff first...if you have a stethoscope use it and try to eliminate such things as distributor, oil pump and fuel pump as they are engine driven devices also