Car show Ann my old 42 Dodge

JIPJOBXX

Car show yesterday in Port Orchard Washington.  I won a fifty dollar prise but not for my car but for entrance ticket!  Not bad and had a fun day with my old Dodge!  Breaks are to tight now but a fellow friend stated I could just burn them in but I think I will just reduce the major adjustment.  Jon

IMG_2721.JPG

• Like 6

Can you tell me if the front bumpers were ever chromed,and then painted over,or just painted?

The reason I ask is I bought a front clip and both bumpers from a 42 Dodge army car,and the fenders were OD,and so were the bumpers,but I can see good chrome where the paint was scrapped off. I'm wondering if they just painted over the original Army contract chrome bumpers to be "uniform GI",or if the original bumpers were just painted to save chrome for the war effort?

7 minutes ago, JIPJOBXX said:

The  bumpers were stock piled befor th War and yes they were Crome plated.  I just could not see spending another thousand dollars to have mine plated.  So hence I painted the bumpers.  Jon

I'm honestly not sure you can even get 2 of  them re-plated for a grand  anymore.  I had both bumpers for my P-15 re-chromed a few years ago and it cost me $660 to have it done,and that was with me delivering them and picking them up. I was horrified and everybody was telling me about what a good deal I got.

These bumpers were both straight and pit-free,also. I can't imagine what something complex like a 49 Plymouth bumper would cost if it were pitted and dented. Probably be cheaper to just buy another 49 Plymouth.