P-15 Convertible tacking strip

Ward Duffield

I think that pretty well all of the GM conv't coupes had vacuum  tops in '40, maybe '41, however, it is unlikely in '41 and later because the '41, etc. GM cars were much larger than the '40's.

I talked to Hydro-Electric in Florida many years ago, over ten when I was trying to find info, parts, etc for my Plym. At that time I was told that they had nothing for the vacuum tops, steered me to a man in Colorado. I called him, he wanted $500. to rebuild my cylinders. When I contacted him a few months later there was no response to my phone calls, eventually the phone was out of service.

As I have said earlier, I'm going to change my top system to an all electric system, I have spent to much time and money trying to make a pigs ear into a silk purse. Wm

On 8/23/2017 at 9:01 PM, greg g said:

Do these bear any resemblance to what you need??

https://www.deanbennettsupply.com/cup-leathers.html

Unfortunately and for posteritys sake, dean bennett supply wasn't able to deliver the leather cups in the correct diameter. Onward now with the search.

2 hours ago, normanpitkin said:

I wonder why my Chrysler has twin electric motors and not vacuum? Price? Selling point?

Good question... are they OEM? Still 6v? Wonder if the throw is the same as my vacuum cylinders. 

Getting back to Wards original question, attached are a few pictures of the tack strip replacement on my car.

59bae62ebfc3f_tackstrip2.jpg.75e120929cf1dfb60e62b8a5741dc1b8.jpg

Here you can see the new PVC tacking strip installed. This requires opening the bead slightly and removing the old pressed board strip. Once complete the new PVC needs to be warmed and it will slide in place. Then the bead is closed again. White marks on the body are grease pencil recorded reference marks that my trimmer made in order to have everything line up again.

59bae62db6982_tackstrip1.jpg.d784b6b767102844b883647120162a3b.jpg

A close up showing the new bead being worked into place.

The header rail in the front of the also has a tack strip, however it is thicker and requires a little more patience to put in place. Rather than a full bead, the head has small tabs which need to be very gently opened and closed to prevent breaking.