window rubber seal stuff

I used this stuff.  I put it on one side of the glass side first and folded around to the other side.  Then removed the backing before sliding it in the regulator channel.  I had to use some mineral spirits to lube it up and use a rubber mallet to get it seated in the channel. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-2-in-x-1-33-yds-Permanent-Double-Sided-Extreme-Mounting-Tape-414-48WID-DCSF/206565452

Razor knife to trim the excess if you want.  

use what plymouthy adams said it is the correct product not what warrior dog used I was a auto glass tech for 24 years  glass setting tape comes in diferent thickness  and diferent compounds it is a press fit not adhesive that bonds the window carrier to the glass.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gramps1951 said:

use what plymouthy adams said it is the correct product not what warrior dog used I was a auto glass tech for 24 years  glass setting tape comes in diferent thickness  and diferent compounds it is a press fit not adhesive that bonds the window carrier to the glass.

I tried glass setting tape 4 times before I had to go to a bonding agent.  Nothing would hold the glass in over time and the the glass kept poppoing out.

33 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

I tried glass setting tape 4 times before I had to go to a bonding agent.  Nothing would hold the glass in over time and the the glass kept poppoing out.

well with some applications...over time the metal riser is rusted, shows thinning due to excessive rusting and often signs of fatigue (mishandling) with the rough treatment sometimes it will get with some handlers over time. A severely rusted unit will need to be cleaned up and surface sealed for the glass setting tape to be effective.   ALWAYS use a mineral spirit to provide a good lube that will evaporate rather quickly and make the bond.  Again, clean and snug...

If you feel you need to use the bonding agent..again, clean & coat the rise....keep this bonding agent in back of your mind if ever needing to remove it in the future.  Releasing it may need be a in depth process.  Do allow it to full cure by placing aide and not handling till cured...there is always another way to skin the cat 

• Like 1

Tim and gramps:

I actually had a professional do the install.  Thicker tape was tried, and considering the condition of my truck there was little to no rust on the parts for them to be thinned metal or distorted.

We did all your tricks and the glass would still work it's way out.  So bonding agent was used.

I just did the windows on my truck with proper glass setting tape and it went together nicely, but the guy who sold me the tape at the old-school glass shop said sometimes he'll use a couple of dots of weatherstrip adhesive on the tape. Said if the fit is a bit sloppy because one thickness of tape is too thin and doesn't grip, and the next thicker is too fat, he uses the thinner tape+ w/s adhesive.

11 hours ago, HughForrest said:

I just did the windows on my truck with proper glass setting tape and it went together nicely, but the guy who sold me the tape at the old-school glass shop said sometimes he'll use a couple of dots of weatherstrip adhesive on the tape. Said if the fit is a bit sloppy because one thickness of tape is too thin and doesn't grip, and the next thicker is too fat, he uses the thinner tape+ w/s adhesive.

yep pretty much what happened to me...the thicker stuff would just bunch up, the thinner woudl just fall out. 

2 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

yep pretty much what happened to me...the thicker stuff would just bunch up, the thinner woudl just fall out. 

probably using metric tape!

• Like 1