Front hub... How tight?

p24-1953

I looked in my manual for the procedure, but couldn't find it. Do NOT torque. Tighten enough to to prevent wobble and just barely slowing free rotation of the wheel. Line up the castle nut with the hole so that you can insert the cotter pin

you should snug up the nut then spin the wheel a couple of turns to force out some excess grease from the bearings. Then check to make sure there is no wobble in the bearing.  If you have to move the castle nut to allow the cotter pin to fit, you should loosen the castle nut a fraction of a turn rather than force it to tighten.

• Like 1

Good advice from busy coupe.   Finger tight is about right after his procedure  but of course the cotter pin must be inserted.

A trick I learned from an old man......................

If it seems you cannot get the castle nut on right...seems either loose or too tight...swap castle nuts side to side.....  that usually  makes the nut adjustment and cotter pin fit easier.

• Like 4

Put it on finger tight. Spin the wheel tire assembly.  With the wrench, tighten the nut until the wheel begins to slow down or resistance to free spinning is noticed.  Loosen the nut sufficient ly that the cottert pin can be put in and seated.  Grasp the top and bottom of the tire and wiggle in and out on the vertical axis.  If any looseness is felt, remove the cotter and tighten one notch.

• Like 2