Need advice on my 59 Dodge Coronet 325/326

TX48Plymouth

I have a 326 A-block Poly engine in my 59 Dodge Coronet, it's the original engine & only has 29750 miles on it...
I am in desperate need of someone that rebuilds them OR where the hell to get a rebuild parts kit for it?
I just had the engine gone thru, new tank, fuel lines, rebuilt power steering pump, radiator, etc, etc..
Started it & it starts knocking bad, shut it down and now I need it torn apart!! So much for trusting THAT mechanic again... 
I'm about replace it with a bowtie 350 (no not really, just frustrated...Sorry Chevy guys/gals it's a joke).
A 325/326 is a crappy engine and it has been giving me nothing but grief since 2004.
Or if anyone can suggest where to get a turnkey crate 318. I want to keep the push-button transmission set up & don't want to have to modify it. I'm not looking for power just reliability. Thanks for ANY help!!

IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

my59dodge.jpg

Did you see my reply on the HAMB a couple of hours ago?............apparently not.......lol.........My 1940 Dodge has a 313 Poly bored 80thou to give the same, 325 capacity.................as I mention there I rebuilt mine and I'm no mechanic, I'm 10000 miles away so I can't physically help but have given some suggestions ..........as PT23 mentions have you discussed the parentage of your mechanic yet?.....sounds like it could be enema time for him..............lol.............what did he actually do?...........regards and welcome to the forum, check my HAMB reply anyway............btw the Chrysler Power Magazine guys are based in Texas and would be worth checking for leads for engine builders that know these engines.......... Andy Douglas

Edited by Andydodge
more info
  • Like 1

I have never owned or driven the 325 version,but I have never heard the old Poly engine called "crappy" before. All I have ever heard of them was how reliable and economical they were.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TX48Plymouth said:
I have a 326 A-block Poly engine in my 59 Dodge Coronet, it's the original engine & only has 29750 miles on it...
I am in desperate need of someone that rebuilds them OR where the hell to get a rebuild parts kit for it?

Rock Auto lists bearings and gaskets for that motor so parts can't be that hard to find. May be a good time to get your hands dirty. At least if it's messed up after that you'll know who to blame.

The engine needed to be gone thru at less than 30,000 miles?

It must have had a tough life.

That mechanic was not..... and now it is knocking:(

Yeh, the latest issue of Chrysler Power mentions Rolands passing............I have been buying the mag here in Oz for the past 2-3 yrs and found it refreshing to have a magazine that when it referred to a 318 mopar engine it generally meant what I had.......hooray!.......terrible shame about Roland tho', seems to have been very quick.........buggar .....andyd 

Don't know much about the 326, but the 318 poly is the same short block as the more modern LA 318. It just has different heads, solid lifters, and clip type wrist pins as opposed to press fit, but most bottom end parts will interchange . I built a 318 poly years ago and actually used the crank, rods and pistons from an LA 318 in the 318 poly block. you might wanna check the specs and compare, it may be possible to use 318 LA parts in your 326.

This ain't rocket science, any good machine shop can take care of what sounds like a routine rebuild and parts for this engine are readily available. If you don't know or trust a local machinist try Automotive Machine and Supply in Cleburne. Like any real machinist Tom is a perfectionist and as honest as you'll find.

https://www.automotivemachine.com

• Like 1

The mechanic didn't really get into the engine so I really don't think he did anything to cause the problem but it seems pretty suspicious . And yes i screwed up & paid him with cashiers checks but i didn't pay him the last $300 until I knew the engine was 100%.

He came over & listened to the engine and he thinks its a loose connecting rod. I'm going to tear into it as soon as I finish installing the rebuilt 217 in my 48 Plymouth. I have a local machine shop that can do the work, but he's 73 and very slow, it took him 6 months to finish my 48 217 engine. So I'm going to start by calling Automotive Machine and Supply in Cleburne. Thanks guys for all your feedback.

Yes, this is the second time this engine has been gone thru in it's 29000 miles life span. First mechanic was an idiot too. It set in a barn for 20+ years too. In my area we did not have decent old school mechanics. I wouldn't think the 326 was crappy I guess if I could find a trustworthy mechanic to get it 100%. I want to be able to get in this thing & drive anywhere. I'm not scared to get my hands dirty & I think I can do it but thanks to my job I don't have alot of spare time to work on it, but I have the money to get it done right so I can enjoy it when I do get time off. Problem is finding that right person to do the work.

Thanks guys! Mike

• Like 2

Mike..............I got screwed by a guy yrs ago that "rebuilt" the original 6 in my 1940 Dodge, got 1000 miles outa it, so decided to hotrod the car, installed a 318 Poly  then after about 18mths pulled it out and sent it of for reconditioning.......bought myself a 1960 Dodge workshop manual and assembled the engine myself, 44 yrs later its still going strong.........they are not hard to do and if you have already paid hard cash only to be screwed why do it again?..........andyd   

4 hours ago, TX48Plymouth said:

The mechanic didn't really get into the engine so I really don't think he did anything to cause the problem but it seems pretty suspicious . And yes i screwed up & paid him with cashiers checks but i didn't pay him the last $300 until I knew the engine was 100%.

He came over & listened to the engine and he thinks its a loose connecting rod. I'm going to tear into it as soon as I finish installing the rebuilt 217 in my 48 Plymouth. I have a local machine shop that can do the work, but he's 73 and very slow, it took him 6 months to finish my 48 217 engine. So I'm going to start by calling Automotive Machine and Supply in Cleburne. Thanks guys for all your feedback.

Yes, this is the second time this engine has been gone thru in it's 29000 miles life span. First mechanic was an idiot too. It set in a barn for 20+ years too. In my area we did not have decent old school mechanics. I wouldn't think the 326 was crappy I guess if I could find a trustworthy mechanic to get it 100%. I want to be able to get in this thing & drive anywhere. I'm not scared to get my hands dirty & I think I can do it but thanks to my job I don't have alot of spare time to work on it, but I have the money to get it done right so I can enjoy it when I do get time off. Problem is finding that right person to do the work.

Thanks guys! Mike

Do you have a  Dodge or Plymouth club in your area? If so might benefit you to join. The guys in the club will know where you need to go. 

15 hours ago, TX48Plymouth said:

Thanks guys! Mike

Sending you a pm with Tom at AMS e-mail and some more info. He's a GREAT guy and does some of the best Harley cylinder head work in the country.