'47 Desoto Generator Bracket

Bingster

10 hours ago, Bingster said:

Well, it really doesn't matter.  I'm stuck with what I have and I'll have to make it work just like the other guy did. And I will.

understand, but you failed to see my point, if you need parts and order by make and model of car and starter is not of that series, you could have problems...data from the tag helps to prevent such situations...the learning curve can be soft or a harsh 90

I've got belts from Grainger Industrial Supply.  Estimate a length with rope or similar.  Order a few different lengths.  Sometimes they are in stock, or pick up the next day.

Take back the ones that are too long or too short.  No problem, if the belt is still clean, unbuggered, and back in its original sleeve.  

there are formulas you can get online that will show you how to effectively measure you pulley diameters, the center to center distance of the two and arrive at your belt need..of course this will entail a bit of effort on your part...but it beats guessing all the time....

for those who are proactive........

http://sudenga.com/practical-applications/figuring-belt-lengths-and-distance-between-pulleys

for those who are not....411, operator give the number of the closest big box automotive store

• Like 1

Bing.........getting back to the original querie....have you flipped the bracket to see if it is indeed upside down?........andyd

Do you mean the lower bracket that mounts to the engine block or the strap.  There could be mixed terminology. At any rate, no I haven't.  If you mean the engine block bracket, I've been trying to imagine if I flipped it what that would do to the generator lining up with the strap. It would lower the gen but it seems that it would swing at an arc that would be too low to match up with the strap. Plus, Donald had it the same as mine.

If you're talking about the adjusting strap,  I really don't want to mess with that bolt that goes into the head. I've tried to loosen it with heat and penetrating oil and it won't move. But from what I've read, it might be best that I leave it alone.

However, even if I could loosen the strap to move up and down, I don't think it would make any difference in the generator moving any further.  I think I'm gonna have to do with the advice to unbolt the gen from the engine block bracket and start again, only this time putting the belt around the pulley first and then re-bolting the gen to the bracket.

Bing, what I mean is the bracket or adjusting strap that goes from the water pump bolt to the generator, it looks like its upside down and with it mounted right side up the slotted area on the bracket would sit in front of the threaded bung or protrusion on the generator and you install the lock bolt and washer from the front thru the slot into the threaded hole in the generator bung.......with the bolt say, half done up you should be able to push the generator towards the engine sufficiently to lever the belt over the generator pulley then pull the generator outwards to tighten the belt.....I had to do the exact same thing to replace the belt on my 1941 Plymouth and its bracket was "opposite" to what yours is, ie, as I have said yours is upside down.................andyd 

I have an Atlas replacement Specification catalog all Desotos from 1938 to 1950 used the same fan belt the number was 628.  My booklet does not show the lengths so I you do some reserach your might beable to find the  correct length for your desoto.  I have taken my belt of several times and have not had any issue with getting the belt over the  pulley and then generator.  If you plan to tkae the gen off the mounting braket it willbe so difficut to hold up the gen and try to bolt it back onto the support braket.

You might have to move or pivot the braket that is connected to the water pump loosen this nut just enought so you can move the braket arm . Push the gen all the way up against the bloc and then belt should slip right over the gen pully. If this is not working then you probably have an incorrect belt.

Also provide the generator model number this is an easy task just read the information on the autolite red tag on the gen body. If you want help then you have to provide information.

Rich Hartung    Desoto1939@aol.com

Bingster:  I just went into the gargae and I had a spare belt for my 39 Desoto this belt is the same that would be used on your car.  I tool a tape measure and measure on the outside circumferrance from a starting point and then ended at my starting point and the total length is 50 inches outside measurement  so think of a circle and measure the outside totally around.

Rich HArtung

• Like 1

Bingster:  Now you state that you will see if you can get the belt off.  So I am confussed, Have you been able to get the belt over all the pullies lower pully, water pump pully and also the generator pully and have the generator moved out to have the proper tension on the fan belt?

Not sure now what issue you are having with the belt. Please update us so we all know where you are inthe process. I provided you witht he total outside measurement of one of my fan belts that was used on my 39 desoto and according to one of my other posts the same size belt is used on the 47-48 desoto.

Please update us with some information.

Rich Hartung

The old belt is around the water pump pulley and the lower pulley but not the generator.  I cannot get the belt around the generator pulley.  It's close but it won't go.  And that's the issue with the generator and the strap.  Cannot push the gen up enough to get the belt around the gen pulley. 

Think about this for a minute. Unbolt the strap from the generator and push the generator as close to the engine as is possible. Then install the belt around the generator pulley. Once the belt is installed then pull the generator away from the engine and re-install the strap bolt. Then finally tension the belt per the book and you should be good to go. Why is this so difficult to do?

Don, this is entertaining.........I'm not sure whether the belts on, off or something in between.........if its on then you'd think it would fit......if off then maybe its too short..... .how hard can it be?..............lol........better then watching TV.........lol..............apologies, but seriously?........Andy Douglas 

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 1

I'm at a loss in explaining it any better than I have. There have been so many speculations and fixes that the problem has become totally obscured. LOL  I have all of your info and there is plenty for me to come up with a fix.  Thanks for all your input, guys.

14 hours ago, Bingster said:

The old belt is around the water pump pulley and the lower pulley but not the generator.  I cannot get the belt around the generator pulley.  It's close but it won't go.  And that's the issue with the generator and the strap.  Cannot push the gen up enough to get the belt around the gen pulley. 

Ok so now the length of the belt sounds as if to be tooo short did you take a measure ment of the total lenth on the outside diameter of the belt that you and compare it to the measurement that I gave you.

Rich Hartung

I've been working, my daughter had a baby, I'm remodeling my living room, I painted my trailer, writing a book, making the wife happy and stealing time for the car.  I told her that "the guys" are waiting for some answers but not much compassion.  As my dad used to say ( and I'm sure 20 million other guys) "It's a great life if you don't weaken."  Or as my daughter likes to say, "I was born weakened."

• Like 1