'47 Desoto Generator Bracket

Bingster

I'm installing the stock generator on my '47 Desoto.  I bolted the bracket with the curved side up,  but when the gen is bolted to the bracket, the bolt for the adjustable strap won't allow the gen to go all the way up the slot to get the belt onto the pulley.. Plus, this strap hits the gen housing, preventing it from going further up to get the belt around the pulley. Something's amiss here.

Here was my setup (I have an alternator now): 

598ccb8f6027a_2011alternator003stockbracket.jpg.806566e0fdf13ed120fee8b1633fe671.jpg

598ccbb3b3187_2011alternator001generator.jpg.df233980f944f31956de987becdc9c8f.jpg

Yes, getting the belt on the generator pulley may be a challenge.  Try it with the belt off the water pump pulley, getting it on the generator pulley, and then working it over the water pump pulley flange.

(I changed the bolt through the water pump into a stud, so that it could remained sealed when I messed with the adjustment arm.  The arm is loose on the stud.  I drilled through the nut keeping the arm on, and ran a cotter pin through the nut and the stud.)

Edited by DonaldSmith
typo

I'm not lacking horizontal space between the gen and the strap. The gen aligns perfectly with the strap. It's just that the upward travel is restricted. Don, how far will your gen bolt ride up the strap before it can't go any further?  I think it may just be what you said, a bit difficult  to get the belt around the gen pulley.

Appears from Donald's picture that his adjusting bracket is top to bottom flipped over from what you have. Maybe??

DJ

Bing....I think your bracket is upside down.....yours "kicks" back whereas Donalds "kicks" forward...look closely at Donalds pic but I don't think you will need the extra nut between the water pump and the bracket.............that's what I think Plymouthy refers to................andyd 

• Like 1

The bracket is install upside down Look at the picture that Don posted and the gen will fit perfectly and you will beable to get the belt on with out any issue. The other thing is do you have the correct length on the belt or did you get a new belt without measuring the old belt.

Rich Hartung

Yep, Bingster's adjusting bracket is flipped.  And the bolt at the generator screws into the generator.  Washer(s) between the bracket and the generator.

Here's the bracket with an extension for my alternator.  Pretend the extension is not there.   Slot is along the top.  I have ground the curve from time to time, to clear whatever setup I had. 

598cf6a717071_newextensiontoalternatorarm.JPG.4edc2db4138cf5dd6c5a5e9de093d668.JPG

Bingster. I just checked on the position of the strap for the gen on my 39 Desoto. My stap is in the same position as yours and the screw goes throught the back of the strap and into the gen tab hole. First check to see if this hole is treaded and also make sure you have the correct sized threaded bolt with the correct thread number.  You unit might not have thread so you will then need to used a bolt with a nut and lock washer.

I have about 1 to 1.5 inches from the end of the slot let to move the gen.  Again you should not have any issues with putting on the belt..  Put the belt around the lower pulley then around the upper water pump pulley. Then move the  gen assembly by pushing it townds the block.  The belt should slip right on to the gen pulley.  If the belt is not the correct  length then this might be your problem.

Rich Hartung

Hey Bingster,

Just went thru the same crap with mine. Had to loosen the mount bolt, lift the bracket, put the belt on, lower bracket, then install the adjustment bolt into the slide part of the bracket and adjust tension to 1/4" deflection and tighten all hardware.

Joe 

Now my basic beliefs are shattered.  Maybe there is more than one way to install an adjustment  arm.   Maybe the slot is supposed to be at the bottom, and behind the generator boss.  

Nah, my way has the advantage that I was able to seal a stud and nut at the block, rather than having to loosen a bolt to free the arm, and the arm is free to pivot without loosening a bolt.

To quote my mother-in-law: "' To each his own," said the lady as she kissed the cow."    

• Like 2

The arm has to pivot as the generator is moved toward and away from the engine.  So the bolt has to be loosened.  This can allow a leak, as the bolt goes into the water jacket of the block.  Short term, maybe no big deal.  But it bothered me, so I substituted a stud that would not be loosened. 

2 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

Haunted by the ancient archives - Once upon a time, I had the adjustment arm like so: 

598f668ae8dd1_existingpulleylocations.jpg.322156344224cd9f5237455d339d0dd0.jpg

I don't remember how far away the arm was from the generator boss when I swung them together.   What's done is done.  Do whatever works. 

Love the heater tubing 

I think that my generator has been replaced somewhere along the line.  It 's different than Donald's. The bracket seems to be original. If they put in another generator that was a close fit and "made to work,"  the fit on the strap would have been off.