Solar Eclipse 2017

Brent B3B

I can't believe the hubbub about this event. they say 100,000 visitors will flood the Portland area to view this 3min event. My sister rented out a room in her house to a family from Oklahoma and my niece has a visitor coming from France just to stay on her couch for this event. :huh: 

the news is hyping it up as possibly grid lock on the freeways, cellular tower overload, supermarkets packed, possible gasoline shortage, cash issues etc.

kind of reminds me of the "y2k"  

funniest part to me, we haven't had any rain for over 50days and guess what they are calling for on the day of the eclipse........ yep, overcast and possibility of rain :lol:  

LOL, let me know if you want to rent a room in my house to see it get dark for 3min and rain :lol: (moderator's this was no way intended to be a siltation of services)  

• Like 2

I feel for you'uns in the path of the total eclipse, bound to be a Charlie-foxtrot.  I'll be on the road to Buffalo on the 21st for work, so I'll be traveling from the 60% into the 70% zone, and I'll probably encounter traffic heading towards the total eclipse band, you know just as many folks will "drive in" that morning as those that planned ahead.  Haven't decided if I'm dreading it, or looking forward to it... 

The path of totality is going to be just a tad bit southwest of me. I could care less myself. If my 12yr old daughter who is really into science and goes to science camp and classes during the summer. If she expresses interest in it we may go to a park and view it. I would much rather be in my basement working on the latest project though.

Edited by Flatie46
Smart phone butchered it pretty bad.

ARC WELDER's lens of 13 recommended...12 is considered borderline if not total eclipse path....14 is rated as best per online site for eclipse viewing..do not take this as an approval from me....just passing along info...as I have a hand held mig shield I now need to verify the shade of the lens...am thinking 10/11 at best....would not fight any amount of travel/traffic to get the other 10% of viewing..

early morning look for meteors this the 11th was nil...overcast added to visibility issue along with almost full moon when cloud cover cleared a bit....hoping for better viewing tonight/early morning 

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Wow, a 13 huh?  That's prob darker than I have. I'm  not sure even my auto darkening hoods go that dark? My manual hood is a 10. Thanks for the info though. Doubt I'll get to go now anyway though, they told me today had to work all weekend and long hours next 2weeks. Joy Joy!

he may not have enough wine in stock for this big event.......

disappointed in the meteor shower...was out early morning, skies clear but the moon was high by approx. 3AM  saw just a handful streaking across the sky.  At least there was not any bugs out and a-biting.  Anyway, I participated so I am getting a participation breakfast doughnut early.

Maybe the meteor shower will be a bit better tonight. I missed it entirely last night. After working all day I decided sleep was more important. Not that I had much choice if you know what I mean..

16 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

he may not have enough wine in stock for this big event.......

disappointed in the meteor shower...was out early morning, skies clear but the moon was high by approx. 3AM  saw just a handful streaking across the sky.  At least there was not any bugs out and a-biting.  Anyway, I participated so I am getting a participation breakfast doughnut early.

Here's the winery's website. This place is about an hour from me.

https://www.moonstock2017.com

In my earlier years this I would have been in for all 4 days. I have motorcycle buddies near there and the offer of a campsite within a couple of miles of this clusterf.... The closer it gets the more I think I may ride over.. Heck, I'm old, not dead!! ;)

I might make a pinhole viewing device.  Take a box, put a pinhole in one side, and let the image fall on the other side.  Put a big hole in the top, for looking inside, without letting in too much stray light.   

The word "camera" means "room".  Before there was film or glass plates that could be exposed and developed. the "camera scura", or "dark room", would provide an exact but inverted image of the world outside, on the far wall, or on a tablet or on transparent sheet.    Artists could now get the perspective exact. 

The pinhole provided  full depth of field but limited light.  Lenses increased the brightness, but had to be focused.  Multiple lenses had to be combined, to account for varying lengths of light waves, to avoid (technical words coming:) chromatic aberration.  

Now a miniature lens at the corner of an electronic tablet produces amazingly sharp images.   'mazing.

We used a pinhole device for the last total eclipse visible in the U.S. back in 1979. It worked but not as well as the welding helmet we used during Venus' solar transit in 2012. Interestingly the paths of the 2017 and 2024 total eclipses intersect here. We have glasses specifically designed for this one.

my burning goggles are 10 shade, common for oxygen acetylene welding...my two auto darkening helmets are max at 13...one stays with the 1940 Forney arc welder, the other is on the TIG cart......I have other lenses and could swear I had a couple 14's but if so, they upstairs in storage with my other TIG torch.  I am not sure if I will even concern myself with the event but who knows what may happen between now and then....

My wife and I flew from Maine to SAN Francisco the night of y2k. The airport was empty and spooky, no cars on the long Bay Bridge and that was a bit unnerving also, then through Fremont to Castro Valley all alone on those streets. It was a strange drive.  I found that a normally busy, now empty city is weird. A friend was at Candlestick when the earthquake hit. He decided to drive as far into the city as he could get, then he walked to near center. It was totally vacated and the wind was moving through the streets quite fast and noisy. He too said, all alone in downtown SAN Fransico was very eerie. 

Edited by pflaming

Y2K was a joke. As Maintenance Manager in a small food plant I had everybody report to work sober at 11:00 PM on new years eve to test every computer and every programmable  logic controller we had. Nothing failed but it was fun hearing all the gun fire going on all over town and making guesses of what guns were being used from the sound of the reports.

Well believe it or not the weather man was wrong.... Clear sky's...

got my number 10 shade stacked on a number 5.....  

Pretty exciting! Or so the news keeps telling me :huh:

3 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

just black out the white dot in the middle, leave the corona...you can sleep through the afternoon...

Still morning here, that would just make me lazy:)