201 engine rebuild

homer41

At this moment (subject to change) I am thinking I will rebuild my 1940 201 for my 41 plymouth.  Right now I was thinking should I try to get it running or not? I could possibly test how the trans is working, see if the carb has issues, but should rebuild it anyway. The previous owner said it has not run for 9 years and I guess if I am going to spend all the time to restore the body I should make sure the engine is top notch. When I have it apart should I mill a bit off the head and block? The engine turns over freely at this time. Is there a down side to running it before rebuilding it.

Can anyone recommend a good rebuilding guide or manual?    Dave

first....what do you really know of this engine....after sitting it could just use a light refresh of the valves by hand lapping and proper clearance and a good ole fashion tune up with carb refresh and new fuel.  Pull a compression test dry, then wet.....record your data....you may have a viable engine with a tad of attention to detail

• Like 1

I'd strongly suggest you get hold of a paper Workshop Manual it will have all the info, specs , etc to rebuild the engine......Plymouthy's suggestion to try & get the engine going first is the best bet........maybe pull the carby and give it a clean, new gaskets & rebuild kit, also check & clean the plugs, new leads, points, cap, condenser, drain oil and see if it starts.........I'd try these things before pulling the engine apart unless there is a specific reason that has to be done...........it may or may not have stuck valves but it seems a waste of time & effort to pull it apart just yet........tho' you may end up having to do this but then the new carb & ignition bits won't be wasted then anyway...........me?.......I'd try to get it going with as little effort and spend to begin with............btw I had a 41 Coupe..........nice cars........got a pic off yours?.........andyd

I would be inclined to rebuild a 230 for your 41  or even a 217  should your present  201 engine need a  lot of work.  By all means run it up and check it out.  But :  Both these later engines are bolt for bolt swaps and offer several advantages.   The crankshafts have much more bearing area and both put out more power. Pistons and bearings are  more readily available.    While the 201 may be adequate, either of the newer  engines would serve your needs better.