Rustoleum Troubles

Bingster

11 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

kinked the hose....regulators are cheap and effective and consistent...no worries of coming in kinked and them whamo...a free flood on one panel compared to medium wet on the other....no not worth the risk to alter the hose physically....no matter what you painting..if it is worth mixing the paint, it is worth shooting it properly....a paint job is best described as a "controlled run"

I didn't say I recommended it, just what one guy useta do and believe it or not he turned out fairly good work. He'd hold the gun in one hand and the kinked hose in the other. I didn't believe it until I saw it. Worked for him, what can I say? When I said to not pay much attention to the gauge it was because the gauges aren't always right and a recommended setting isn't necessarily the best. If a guy can't tell if the pressure's right when he pulls the trigger he needs more experience, same as paint/reducer mix, paint gun adjustments, and gun control. Those are things you can't really be taught, you have to learn them. I made plenty of mistakes over the years and still do. That's why they sell lacquer thinner in 5 gallon buckets. :)

When you get right down to it trying to give internet painting advice is nearly pointless. It's like looking at a guitar chord chart without having a guitar in your hand. You get a general idea but that's it.. I know you understand this, not everyone does.

it is customary to hold the gun in one hand and the hose in the other more for the prevention of dragging the hose against the surface being sprayed....I admit I would never have thought anyone would try to regulate the air flow by pinching off the supply at the same time.....usually on the older syphon guns you set the supply regulator for the pressure you need with consideration for the pressure drop on the hose length.  The HVLP's of today rely on max supply to the inlet where as at this point it is regulated where as you will get your high volume but low pressure.  I am sold on the gravity fed HVLP gun...I have a myriad of Binks 7 and 18's, a few DeVilbis guns and a paint pot or two...the paint pot is idea for shooting the undercarriage and last time I used it was for the Tiger long before I got my lift....their was a Air Force Weather bird also painted with my pot and gun set up years ago....that is another story...was in a paint course taught by Ron Joseph at the time...as part of the course and of benefit to others, I supplied my pressure pot for demonstration...(look him up...very pleasant individual)

Okay so re-shot the off topic RX7, with the exception of a tiny bit of peel and dry spray, it came off quite well.

This time hardener added and reduced with Urethane grade reducer, which is mostly acetone as the shop was cool.

20170927_182128_resized.jpg

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

22 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

it is customary to hold the gun in one hand and the hose in the other more for the prevention of dragging the hose against the surface being sprayed....I admit I would never have thought anyone would try to regulate the air flow by pinching off the supply at the same time.....usually on the older syphon guns you set the supply regulator for the pressure you need with consideration for the pressure drop on the hose length.  The HVLP's of today rely on max supply to the inlet where as at this point it is regulated where as you will get your high volume but low pressure.  I am sold on the gravity fed HVLP gun...I have a myriad of Binks 7 and 18's, a few DeVilbis guns and a paint pot or two...the paint pot is idea for shooting the undercarriage and last time I used it was for the Tiger long before I got my lift....their was a Air Force Weather bird also painted with my pot and gun set up years ago....that is another story...was in a paint course taught by Ron Joseph at the time...as part of the course and of benefit to others, I supplied my pressure pot for demonstration...(look him up...very pleasant individual)

I still prefer a siphon gun with a pressure valve at the gun but I'm hard-headed. Out of necessity I bought a couple of HVLP guns to shoot the watered-down stuff they call paint nowadays. I HAD a paint pot but it strangely disappeared. The weird part is that including myself there have only been 5 people in my shop in the last 20 years. Two of those were outsiders but they wouldn't have known what to do with a paint pot. Guess I loaned it out or gave it away.. Anyway, it's gone!!

Edited by MackTheFinger
clarity

30 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

I still prefer a siphon gun with a pressure valve at the gun but I'm hard-headed. Out of necessity I bought a couple of HVLP guns to shoot the watered-down stuff they call paint nowadays. I HAD a paint pot but it strangely disappeared. The weird part is that including myself there have only been 5 people in my shop in the last 20 years. Two of those were outsiders but they wouldn't have known what to do with a paint pot. Guess I loaned it out or gave it away.. Anyway, it's gone!!

Yah I hear you, and am on the look out for a Binks model7. This is not HVLP, its a gravity feed conventional 1.5 tip shooting at 45-50 psi, spray pattern 9 inches, wish it were a foot..

Why not dial down the old guns and reduce pressures, could that not work with the bases and clears..there is still lots of 1 stage urethanes too

4 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Yah I hear you, and am on the look out for a Binks model7. This is not HVLP, its a gravity feed conventional 1.5 tip shooting at 45-50 psi, spray pattern 9 inches, wish it were a foot..

Why not dial down the old guns and reduce pressures, could that not work with the bases and clears..there is still lots of 1 stage urethanes too

I have a Binks 7 and still use it for primer and the occasional enamel paint job. I have a couple of DeVilbiss MBC's, a couple of Sharpe 75's, and a few I don't know what primer guns, too. The 1.7 or 1.8 tips on most of the old guns just push too much material for base/clear. My HVLP gravity feed gun has a 1.3 tip and it works for shooting the new stuff. I haven't shot any single stage urethane. I have a motorcycle to paint and have been thinking about trying it on that.

Edited by MackTheFinger

39 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

I have a Binks 7 and still use it for primer and the occasional enamel paint job. I have a couple of DeVilbiss MBC's, a couple of Sharpe 75's, and a few I don't know what primer guns, too. The 1.7 or 1.8 tips on most of the old guns just push too much material for base/clear. My HVLP gravity feed gun has a 1.3 tip and it works for shooting the new stuff. I haven't shot any single stage urethane. I have a motorcycle to paint and have been thinking about trying it on that.

smaller tips and turn down the air?

Yesterday, with air turned up, had very little overspray, kind cool, thought I was gonna have lots...

This will be my last time spraying  a car or truck with alkyd type paint.

I can buy urethane paint for a great price at a local jobber.

Spraying alkyd with no instructions on mixing is and can be different for varying reasons. It is shiny paint but not like automotive paints.

I would paint a tractor or trailer with rusto type paint without hesitation.