Discontinued the loaning of my Miller Tools

desoto1939

I agree with the others. It's unfortunate this happened and now others suffer as a result. There are some novice mechanics out there and they often tackle jobs beyond their skill levels. Just look at your neighborhood Craigslist at all of the unfinished project cars. A couple of times I have seen these tools come up for sale but the cost has prevented me from buying them. I mean, how many times do you expect to replace control bushings on a 70 year old car. My guess is once. I'm surprised no one has come up with a low cost alternative for these tools.

3 minutes ago, YukonJack said:

I agree with the others. It's unfortunate this happened and now others suffer as a result. There are some novice mechanics out there and they often tackle jobs beyond their skill levels. Just look at your neighborhood Craigslist at all of the unfinished project cars. A couple of times I have seen these tools come up for sale but the cost has prevented me from buying them. I mean, how many times do you expect to replace control bushings on a 70 year old car. My guess is once. I'm surprised no one has come up with a low cost alternative for these tools.

jacking screws come to mind.....

5 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

Yes that is the bolt that broke so I do not know if this can be repaired.

Rich, as it was originally man made, man should be able to repair it....just a matter of getting it to the right man/shop...maybe the can get the forged arms back to a crisp 90 degrees at the same time...

• Like 1

I borrowed a timing light from a buddy once.

The lead that goes on the spark plug was a spring, the end was all unraveled and hardly stay on the plug. You had to get it just so to stay on.

So I sat down and did a little trimming and re-wrapping, I made it just like new again.

Boy did he get pissed, he spent a lot of time to get it just like it was for a certain job, but kinda worthless for what it was meant to be.

He was right, I was wrong. It was his tool and I should not have changed it .... last time I borrowed a tool

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I borrowed a timing light from a buddy once.

The lead that goes on the spark plug was a spring, the end was all unraveled and hardly stay on the plug. You had to get it just so to stay on.

So I sat down and did a little trimming and re-wrapping, I made it just like new again.

Boy did he get pissed, he spent a lot of time to get it just like it was for a certain job, but kinda worthless for what it was meant to be.

He was right, I was wrong. It was his tool and I should not have changed it .... last time I borrowed a tool

head you lose, tails you lose....only if it landed on its edge could you have maybe come out with this one...good share...

8 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

jacking screws come to mind.....

Rebuilt mine back in '04, right or wrong that's what I used. I didn't even know there was a tool for this particular job till here recently.

Rich,

I am sorry this happened. Please update us on the repaired Tool. Every, yes every time in my life that I lent tools out, except once - maybe - I had to finally go ask for them back. Sometimes never to even get them back. This brings to mind, as well as the Shakespeare saying: "No good deed goes unpunished". Well here's hoping you get it fixed and feel better about the whole thing after all. You are a good fellow to have endured for so long, and I hope one goonie bird doesn't ruin your outlook on life or our group here. Good Luck.

Tom

• Like 1