Discontinued the loaning of my Miller Tools

desoto1939

effective 8/8/2017 the loaning of my factory Miller loans will be ending to the P15D25 members.  I had recently loaned out a couple of my tools and when the tools were returned one of the tool had a part part.  To be specific there is a pressed in bolt that is threaded and had a nut to hold a part onto the tool.  This tool was original in all aspects and was approximately almost 90 years old and still in working condition.

When the tool arrived at the person loaning the tool if they had noticed that the tool or stud had an issue they should have contacted me directly but this never happened so all i can assume is that the tool was misused and the stud was hit under some form of pressure.

Upon inspection one of the bolts in the threaded section was split. When i looked at the tool I noticed that the nut was on an angle and i was concerned that the bolt had been crossed threaded when the nut was screwed back unto the threaded stud. i was able to remove the nut but noticed that the threaded stud was cracked and the threaded portion was ready to snap off the stud. The person that used the tool  In my opinion they tried to hide the issue by threading the nut back on the stud to the point that the split was covered up. When the user was done with the tool they had to remove the nut so the damage would have been noticed

When you break someone tools that has been loaned to you in good faith it is your responsibility to contact the owner and informed then of what happened and also to get the tool repaired.  Neither of these things were done. i had to find this out upon my inspection.

The person has been contacted and there is an additional fee being charged to help with the cost of getting the tool repaired.

So i am being forced to halt the loaning of my Miller factory tools.  I am sorry if this puts any issues with anyone trying to restore or do some mechanical maintenance to your MoPar's cars/trucks but i now need to protect my tool from any other damage and misuse.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com 

unfortunately, I figured it was just a matter of time before an incident such as this happened.....have seen cases where folks borrow an item, break it with misuse and then threaten to sue the kind sole who loaned it for supplying a faulty item.....all this just before the guy lost consciousness...I will add this edit, I think more facts will come to light....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

27 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

effective 8/8/2017 the loaning of my factory Miller loans will be ending to the P15D25 members.  I had recently loaned out a couple of my tools and when the tools were returned one of the tool had a part part.  To be specific there is a pressed in bolt that is threaded and had a nut to hold a part onto the tool.  This tool was original in all aspects and was approximately almost 90 years old and still in working condition.

Frankly,I am surprised it took this long for that to happen.

1 minute ago, Prusakowski said:

Who will get your tools when you pass away?  A museum?

What difference does it make to you? They are his to do anything with he wishes,including having them melted down if that is what he wants.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

It's a shame that happened and a testament to you that you loaned them out to begin with. Thanks for being a good guy for so long!!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Prusakowski said:

Who will get your tools when you pass away?  A museum?

When I sell my 39 Desoto the tools will also be sold. I my even dontate them to the AACA but that is my decision to do what ever i want to do.  The point is that the person that broke the tool should have contacted me before sending the tools back.  i do understand that things happen but not to own upto it is the point that is the real issue.  So the entire club loses in this issue.  I have lent many tools out that are not cheap tools and they have always been returned correctly without any damage. So if you want to make an offer at this time please let me know but the tools will not be cheap.

Rich Hartung

• Like 2

Rich, Sorry to hear of your bad experience and I can understand your response. I learned early on to buy the best tools I could afford, with the idea that I would keep them for a long time and hopefully not have to replace them. The tools I bought  were part of my livelihood for years...Personally, I don't borrow tools. I have on occasion loaned tools, but only to those I know well and I trust will use them properly..   

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this Rich. Hope you can get it repaired. Once again a creep ruins it for everybody.

Those are special shanked bolts on the Miller lower control arm tool if that's the damaged tool.

40 minutes ago, casper50 said:

I've also borrowed tools from you. Your unselfish loan of tools saved me much time and money.  I'm willing to chip in to get it fixed if it's possible.  

Ditto

1 hour ago, BigDaddyO said:

Whomever it was is a world class jerk.

I would name names too.

Desoto39, your taciturnity in this regard is admirable.

We do not know the whole story so we should not really not be beating up the person who damaged the tool..

It's possible that person has tried to pay for for damage to that tool and make it good for Rich.;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

Yes that is the bolt that broke so I do not know if this can be repaired.

If something needs to be machined I might be able to help depending on the complexity. (I just don't know the tool or anything about it).

If my tools leave the shop I make it a habit to go with them.  That is usually sufficient to discourage any borrowing.

........ a most regrettable situation for  Desoto 39.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

We do not know the whole story so we should not really not be beating up the person who damaged the tool..

It's possible that person has tried to pay for for damage to that tool and make it good for Rich.;)

Doesn't sound that way from what I've read;

"The person that used the tool  In my opinion they tried to hide the issue by threading the nut back on the stud to the point that the split was covered up. When the user was done with the tool they had to remove the nut so the damage would have been noticed

When you break someone tools that has been loaned to you in good faith it is your responsibility to contact the owner and informed then of what happened and also to get the tool repaired.  Neither of these things were done. i had to find this out upon my inspection.",

but you do have a positive outlook.

Edited by BigDaddyO
To quote O.P..
  • Like 1

Sorry 39 Desoto to hear of your disappointment and hope the tool can be repaired. When I was 40 years younger (now 68) I had a neighbour who had every tool imaginable for almost all jobs around the house or yard. He told me that he never minded loaning any tool to me as it always came back in a timely manner, undamaged, and sometimes cleaner than when loaned. That should be how you treat borrowed tools. I will occasionally loan tools out to people I know and expect the same kind of respect for the tool.

• Like 1