1947 WC Leaf Springs

Forrest

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to lower my pickup a little bit as the previous owner had heavy duty leaf springs and big overloads in this ½ ton truck. He hauled a lot of dirt and gravel. My question is: How many leaves are in a typical or stock ½ ton front leaf spring?  Mine currently has 8 and is 1 ¾" tall. If some are to be removed to lower/soften the ride which ones?  In the rear I replaced the set of 9 with a set of 6 from a 1953 and it lowered it 2-3" (from super tall to normal-ish). With the 6 leaves in the rear can anymore be removed to drop even further? 

Thanks

IMG_5233.JPG

I have a 54 and run 4 leaves in the rear. I started with the second one from the bottom and removed every other one. I am down about 4" or so and it's a smooth ride. In the front, I  removed the second one from the bottom and run a dropped axle. The springs actually arch the opposite direction to stock by just a bit up front and are about flat in the rear. You can see all my work in my build thread if you like.

Another similar thread

Before folks complain, I carry a bike, ice chest and lawn chairs as a maximum load. If I need to haul, I have a 3500 with a Cummins.

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1