251 distributor

48Windsor

Took the ol whale (48 Chrysler) in to get normal tuneup stuff done. Well the vacuum advance is shot, breaker plate stuck, etc. I've been all over looking for a vacuum advance, or complete distributor - no luck. Mechanic thought he could free up the breaker plate, but I'm stumped on what to do with the Vac adv. A few places will rebuild mine but thats a min. of 2-4 weeks or more. I guess I'm after instant gratification rather than waiting. Anyone have any other suggestions or have spares to sell??? Tag on it says Part#1121944,    IGS4208 A1 9C002897

This is a big company in the midwest that specializes in selling military surplus NOS and used Mopar parts. It might surprise  you how many different WW-2 up to the VN war vehicles had 230 or 251 Mopar engines in them.

Can never remember the name of the company,but someone is sure to pipe in and name it.

48 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

This is a big company in the midwest that specializes in selling military surplus NOS and used Mopar parts. It might surprise  you how many different WW-2 up to the VN war vehicles had 230 or 251 Mopar engines in them.

Can never remember the name of the company,but someone is sure to pipe in and name it.

gotta be vintage power wagons

• Like 3

Everybody I talked to, Kanter, Roberts, Vintage Power wagons, etc, had none in stock. Some wanted to rebuild mine - 2-4 weeks min. Might be forced to go that route. I don't suppose there are any other alternatives.

Reg Evans, thanks,  I didn't see that one on Epay. Looks similar, will take pic of it down to shop tomorrow. NOS is a little worrisome since the rubber is so old on the diaphragm. 

7 hours ago, Young Ed said:

gotta be vintage power wagons

Thank you! That's the one.

Thought I'd give an update. I sent the vacuum advance off to TerrIll Machine in Texas. Turnaround time is about 3 weeks.

In the meantime, my hometown mechanic has gone through the dizzy, cleaned and greased the breaker plate as it was stuck solid. Looks and works good now. Replaced the points and condensor, timed, etc. Will take it back for him to install the vac. adv. and re-time when I get it back. Man does it run a lot better now! Would run down the road at 60-65 with ease but i'd say 55mph is pretty much the sweet spot. I don't like to push it much over that, besides I'm not in that much of a hurry any more. 

Anyway, ready to start extending the road trips to test dependability.

Tom B

• Like 1

Did you try Neil Riddle? 206-285-6534

Yes he might. has lots of NOS MoPar and has sold many VA's over the years.

If you really want one, call George Asche  814-354-2621  odds are really good he has one. Whether he has one rebuilt ready to ship I cant say.  A few years ago  at The All Chrysler Nationals I met him, he didn't have one there but thought he had one at home.  He called me early in the week and I had it on the weekend. Mine was a 1950 250 but same thing.