Cracked Block.. ouch!

right - but it sure makes it interesting when the key board blurs and what appears on the screen stops you cold in your tracks and Ruth says " u still up" lol. Charlie Stephenson

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to thank everyone for contributing thoughts, ideas, information, etc. A couple of the Craigslist ads seem promising, although none of them are within an eight-hour drive from me (I'm in Maryland -  not far from DC). Just to share my thinking: I've already been through two trucks & engines - the original purchase and my parts truck - and both had cracked blocks. So I'm 0-2 when it comes to buying usable engines, and having been burned twice I'm gun-shy about buying a third engine on Craigslist and hoping it'll be OK. Plus I really don't want to buy a third truck and spending the time breaking it down - I've done that twice now, and I want to starting putting stuff back together.

I'm leaning towards the Vintage Powerwagon folks even though at $750 they're pricey. Why? Because - as they put it - they'll "make it right" if I get another cracked block. I can't get that from Craigslist. 

As far as using the cracked block anyway, I trust my machine shop guy (http://precision-engine.com) and he advises against it. The first block had a 14 inch long crack (I saw it myself) and he says the second - which I haven't seen - is worse. Yes he can fix them also, but he said it would cost more than replacing it. He's looking for a replacement also.

Anyway that's where I'm leaning at the moment, but I don't like rushing into decisions so I'll give it a few days. I plan to head over to the machine shop this week and I'll post pictures of the cracks.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and I haven't ruled out anything at the moment. Thanks guys.

Fowl Jeff

• Like 1

Great presentation on  LNS, Fernando Mendes.  What a fitting end to a great discussion by all, hope we all helped ya Fowl Jeff, I oven pre-heat all cast iron welding projects, takes a lot of time to bring up to temp and back down, I prefer lock and stich, cold welding - to many things can go wrong real fast.  Charlie Stephenson

Don't send those blocks to the scrap pile yet. 515-276-7877 Charlie Stephenson

598be667bb20a_413MAXWEDGEFinishUpcrackRepair(6).JPG.642eab4975ced11c1db0c9f1366f4128.JPGI just pinned a Max Wedge block.....cracked both sides

413 MAX WEDGE Finish Up crack Repair (10).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

Great Stich.  Going to do the lock ?  Charlie Stephenson ( smart ass)

The locks would work great on a high strength requirement job... not on this wiggly thin cracked block. had to save the casting numbers.

It all understandable, with a little explanation,  no substrate = no lock.  That is easy to understand. Charlie Stepenson

I wanted to turn my 218 into a 230 engine. I didn't have any luck finding a crank and rods, so I bought a 230 from Vintage Power Wagons. The first engine they sent looked great on the outside, but inside one of the cylinders was scored beyond use. While I didn't need the block, the crankshaft had metal embedded in it from the cylinder wall. VPW made it right without any argument and told me just to keep the other engine since it wasn't any good. I have nothing bad to say about VPW except they couldn't have inspected the  engine like they said they did! 

The second engine was also a military  engine and had been rebuilt by the military. The crankshaft had been ground .010" under. My machinest just polished it as he said the measurements were still all in tolerance. 

Wish I still had the block as I would have gladly offered it to you.

Good luck on your project!

David A. 

Fowl Jeff, I have another suggestion for you, and that is to try Bob Stahl at Veteran Vehicles in Wrentham, Massachussetts.  Super-nice guy to deal with, and I know he has 230 bocks for sale.  I'm not sure what his return or warranty policy is, but if he says he will take things apart and take measurements and assess the condition of anything, then you can be sure that he will.  Of course, he won't have the capability of checking for cracks, but he may be willing to check other things. I seem to remember his prices on engine blocks being significantly lower than those at VPW.  Bob does not have a website, but just do a search on "Bob Stahl Veteran Vehicles" and his contact info will come up.  Tell him Matt Wilson from Texas sent you.  He'll know me.

Another option is John Bizal at Midwest Military.  I'm pretty sure he has 230 blocks.  I've bought a few things from him and always had good service, and numerous other people rave about his quality parts and excellent customer care.  I believe he is in Minnesota, and he does have a website. 

Beyond that, I suggest you go to www.dodgepowerwagon.com and go to the links and suppliers sections, and you'll probably find even more places to try.

Good luck!  Please let us know how it turns out. 

Another thing I will add is that, while I don't have any personal experience with cracked blocks, or repairing them, I do remember one time seeing an airport tug with a Chrysler/Dodge flathead six, which apparently had cracked some time earlier in its life, and had been welded.  The weld ran along the side of the block, just under the deck, where it mates to the head, from the very front to the very back.  The engine seemed to be doing fine, and was in daily use.  As best I recall, it didn't have the appearance of being a recent repair, so I got the impression it had been in use that way for quite some time.