Cracked Block.. ouch!

I'm really feeling down tonight guys. First I spent a few weeks breaking my L230 engine down, tagging parts, taking countless pictures, etc. Brought the block to a machine shop for mag & boring and they said it was cracked in several places, with one crack over a foot long.

So  I broke down the engine from my parts truck - also a 230 - and brought that block in. My guy called me a little while ago and guess what? It's cracked worse than the first one.

Quite a punch in the gut. If you know anyone with a 230 block I'm in the market. I noticed VintagePowerWagons.com lists one (it says "call for availability") so I left them a message.

Anyway I guess I'll spend a few hours with my buddy Jim Beam tonight..

only good news I can give you is a 218 is the same block. You should be able to reuse one of those 230 crank and rod setups and still have a 230 if you find a 218 block

6 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Bummer... However, I am curious about the cracks. I haven't heard of many cases of cracked blocks. Were the cracks from water freezing in the blocks?

I remember this too like Merle.Where are the cracks?Send us pics.

Hi Guys,

The machine shop said that in both cases he believe the cracks were caused by freezing. He showed me the cracks; the magnaflux process really brought them out. It was amazing to me because I had cleaned up the outside pretty thoroughly via pressure washing and wire wheel but didn't see a thing. I'm going over in a couple days and I will take a couple pictures.

Probably nothing you guys don't already know but 'freeze plugs' is a misnomer. My guy said they should be called 'casting plugs', and they rarely prevent a block from cracking if it freezes

FYI the power wagon folks said they have an engine core for $750 plus shipping. What do you guys think - is it worth it?

- Jeff

the key word here is core.....like you, if they missed any cracks in the clean up and inspection from pulling one out of a vehicle, you out time, trouble for shipping and possible eating of return shipping to get a refund...am sure there are a few blocks closer to home if you beat the bushes or burn down craigslist within a 250 mile radius.  I am betting you can find entire assembled engines for better money and have some wonderful parts for future in the process.  But then, this is just how one man looks at things...other have different outlooks

dont forget to run a want add on craigs list auto/truck parts.I have seen a lot of times someone will pull a original motor and try to sell it on craigs list, they sit there forever with no sale. Guy eventually just pushes it in a corner and forget about it.

Just a idea that is worth a try before you buy anything, might find a good running motor that someone wanted to drop a small block chevy in instead.

I'd look on craigslist for an engine. I see them fairly regularly on my local craigslist. I've bought a low mileage original engine (good runner and currently in a car) for less than that! 

Jeff may well be in area where little of the 40's/50's Mopar is happening....he may have to spread out his search area to wider lasso...but still think in the long run he can score an assembly in reasonable time...but then time may be one element he does not want in the equation.  

I weld block cracks in sand casting holes, also used to sometimes remove casting super structure wire reinforcements wires - head cracks - transmissions.  NOT cast iron 3rd members.  My policy is u - ship I quote - I repair - you pay u=ship to pick the item from me  -  you install - at 250 miles on my repair and your approval, I invoice you on Pay Pal you pay me in 24 hours, I reserve the first right of rejection upon receipt on your welding project as you reserve the first right of rejection of my quote lol. Charlie Stehenson

Thank You. I need a Drivers door for a 1953 Dodge Truck B 4 YX, I under stand the cab doors are all the same in 1953. Will you look on Craig's list to help me, I'm not familiar with how to be effective at searching Craig's List, I would appreciate some help from your expertise, Thank You. Charlie Stephenson

7 hours ago, Charlie Stephenson said:

Thank You. I need a Drivers door for a 1953 Dodge Truck B 4 YX, I under stand the cab doors are all the same in 1953. Will you look on Craig's list to help me, I'm not familiar with how to be effective at searching Craig's List, I would appreciate some help from your expertise, Thank You. Charlie Stephenson

Charlie,

I use Ad Hunt'r. Just type in your search and it will search all of Craigslist, and more. http://www.adhuntr.com/

Searching specifically for a '53 drivers door for your truck may prove difficult, but I've used it to find other things. You may have to wade through several adds before you find what you are looking for, but it will search everywhere.

• Like 1

That's me job;  sparking comments lol,  stitching works well I've stitched gears on machinery and even my trolling motor ratcheted pivot worked great, finding a block is always the best way and should only be paid for upon your approval of no cracks - may take several try's as the 25" seams to be prone to cracking,  my molly blocks don't have that problem, but talk about hard to find - try a 281,306,377,413 molly block (30"). I'm still searching for a 281 & a 413 molly block any condition.  Cracked cylinders and valve seat to valve seat or even valve seat to water jacket -  not impossible to repair "just takes longer" lol.  Cheer up push on and you'll find a good block soon, if you haven't already found it. They are out there, Try Mike at AMS (e-bay seller). Charlie Stephenson

Hello WarriorDog and Fernando Mendes I appreciate you guys stepping up and helping, this hunting for a block is the way to go, I'm sure Fowl Jeff ( & me ) need all the help and support we can muster from fellow blogger's to encourage us on to victory past these forks in our roads.  counselling meetings are on Sunday after noon's, advice is free. crazy Charlie Stephenson

Merle Coggins, Thanks, this is a big help for all of us. Charlie Stephenson 

10 hours ago, Charlie Stephenson said:

Searchtempest is what I use.  Some people will come to a website forum such as this and ask a large community of enthusiasts for help. Some will contribute, some don't.  Some people will throw a "more subtle" hint out there just in case the OP is not familiar with how to search Craigslist.  

Just type in what you're searching for and how far away you want to search and Voila!

the All of Craigslist, Tempest and AdHunter, I  have at times used them all..while they do return a quantity of ads, the sites they return them form are not current or up to date, many ads have expired but yet the link is still out there to be found on a search..this can get to be quite frustrating.....you got to ping these site almost daily and learn to live with a few disappointments....shaking the bushes is still your best option along with swap meets, prowling the junkyards and dropping wanted ads on various forums...you got to BE and STAY proactive...

good luck to all searching for parts....

Thank you gentlemen, this is the kind of sharing that really helps. Charlie Stephenson