Monroe 31000 vs Gabriel 81147 (P15 46-48)

3046moparcoupe

I don't suppose this is a big problem. Seems as though many folks here on the forum are successfully driving their P15's with the Monroe 31000 shocks on the rear - and that's a good thing. However, after pulling our rear end, replacing seals and bearings, new paint, etc...then upon putting it all back together....I had a heck of a time getting the Monroe 31000's on the car..

Problem being, the leaf springs had to be compressed quite a bit to get the shock on, due to it's maximum travel of 19.5 inches.  With our P15 being stripped down to bare bones, I didn't have enough weight to use a floor jack against the springs, as they would start flexing about 3/4 inch or so then the car would just start to raise, anyway I wrestled around with it and finally found I was able to get the shocks on if I just raised one side at a time. During this exercise, I was reading through forum posts here where folks have experienced the Monroe 31000 shock eyes breaking off, also a instance I believe where shock mounts were being broken, discussion about the need to do additional welding on the shock eye's of the Monroe's...etc...

In respect to the above, I am thankful for one fellow on here who posted about going to Auto Zone, where they cross referenced from Monroe over to the Gabriel shock and came up with part #81147. Here's my reason:

the travel length specs on the Monroe 31000  = 12.0 " collapsed  x  19.5 " extended.

the travel length specs on the Gabriel Guardian 81147 = 12.370 " collapsed  x  20.240 " extended.

So far, this old car I bought from a collection located in Monroe Lousiana has been 100% honest in regards to original parts. (Only thing I've found that wasn't spec, was the clutch fork spring brkt was missing and they had a make shift spring attached elsewhere)...anyway - I held on to the old Monroe shocks that I took off this car,..see attached pics below (now of course, I'm not saying these Monroe shocks are original, certainly they are not,...but they've been on here an awfully long time....with on signs of ill wear that I can see.

the travel length spec I'm measuring on the Monroe 1000's that came off this car matches the Gabriels almost to a T, at around 12 1/4 " collapsed  x  20 5/16 " extended. (just using a tape measure as shown below)

Here's the info off the old Monroe shocks : MONROE MATIC   patent 4113072   MADE IN USA :) 1000 H11E1D

Previously when I had such a heck of a time trying to get the Monroe 31000's on my car, I stopped and called Monroe tech support, and I gave them the numbers you see above, that came off my old shocks, and I was told YES - the new shock number is 31000....

Anyway - with the Gabriel specs being almost a perfect match to the old shocks that came off this car, and in respect to the issues described above, I removed the Monroe's and installed the Gabriels today. Took about 30 minutes to get the Monroe's off, and about 10 minutes to put the Gabriels on.

This forum has helped us out so very much. I can't tell ya how much it is appreciated. I hope that possible this will be of help to another member here on the forum.

Also, I'm not real big on Auto Zone, (had a bad experience with them years ago and have pretty much always been an oreilley's or napa guy, ever since...anyway - $15.00 ea for the Gabriel shocks at Auto Zone.....that's cheaper than the mail order guys.

Steve

100_4935.JPG

100_4939.JPG

100_4937.JPG

100_4938.JPG

Edited by 3046moparcoupe
  • Like 2

Thanks for the tip.

Does anyone know if this all applies to 1942 Dodges?

• Like 1