Which vendor

ptwothree

Finally got around to installing the engine and trans for my '52 Cranbrook.  Noticed a few clearance problems involving the throwout fork and floor pan.  Also the bell housing and trans to floor pan is really tight.  With new motor mounts installed, it looks like the rubber body mounts are in need of replacing.

Found some new ones at Roberts and AB.....about the same price.  Just wondering if one vendor has it over the other as far as quality and and willingness to make it right if they ship the wrong ones.

I've decided to go with Steele for the windshield gasket.  Anyone buy from these guys? 

IMG_0301.JPG

I have been buying from Bernbaums for about 30yrs, always got good service and the right parts packed well.......tho' some had fair comments about AB's bedside manner............lol............I have purchased only once from Steele Rubber and wouldn't recommend those scum to my worst enemy.......ordered the correct part numbered cowl vent rubber from them for my 1940 Dodge, got a rubber that had the correct overall shape but completely wrong profile that would not work in a packet with the correct number..........it did not fit and would not have fitted so I rang them........I am in Australia and was treated like a leper, I did not know what I was talking about and nope, no refund...........ended up getting the correct profiled rubber from AB's later..........I am happy to go out of my way to badmouth Steeles whenever possible as the the part ended up costing about 3 times what it should have due to the exchange rate, shipping, phone calls & having to order from another vendor .......so in answer to your question, yes I have and caveat emptor ............regards from Oz, Andy Douglas    

Edited by Andydodge
more info
  • Like 1

Bernbaum's as we know has a new owner these days, who seems like a good fellow.  Have heard comments over 

time both pro and con about various AB products.   I bought a windshield gasket from Steele for my P15,,,it was good.  Also bought

a cowl vent gasket from Steele......mine was correct and OK.  Steele is not cheap.  So there is no totally correct and

accurate answer.  

Edited by BobT-47P15
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply's.  Andy, I can't imagine trying to deal with a vendor from as far away as you are.  I'm more concerned with the fit and quality of the windshield gasket as that has to be right.  

Doing a search here, it seems not to many are happy, a few were, with the offerings from Ab, nothing from Roberts and some were happy with Steele.

I know if I call each one I'll be told what a great product they have, so that isn't much help. The body mounts (rubber biscuits) are a little more generic as opposed to the w/s gasket which is model and year specific.

Anyone get a w/s gasket that works like it should?  

3 hours ago, ptwothree said:

Anyone get a w/s gasket that works like it should?  

I recently ordered one along with new windshields from Andy Bernbaums. I have received my rubber parts but not the glass. I called this morning and talked to Chris and as mentioned before his bedside manner was not real pleasant. Time will tell if everything fits right. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Like 1

I ordered brake hoses for a 1931 Chrysler CM6 and 2 of the 3 hoses were incorrect. I called and they told me to send the 2 wrong hoses and the 2 original hoses to them. They matched the hoses and shipped them to me. I'm happy with their service and will buy from them again. JohnS

I'm not saying that I'm unhappy at this point as I have ordered from them previously and everything was fine. It's just as a person that has dealt with people in a professional matter for the last 20 some odd years I know that your public persona is something that is important. Basically what I'm saying is that you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar. Service is only part of the business. Friendly and informative communication is another part along with quality products, timely delivery and competitive pricing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I received my windshield glass on 8-15-2017 a full week after it was supposed to be here. I was lied to about the time it was shipped, that along with the poor attitude has convinced me to use a different vendor if at all possible in the future. In my opinion to lie to your customer is uncalled for, when I'm lied to I lose trust in whomever lied to me. I was always polite and respectful in my correspondence, so to be treated that way was unprofessional and unnecessary.

On a brighter note, the glass fit fine, the rubber was a two piece item. There were no installation instructions with either glass or rubber so I downloaded instructions from Steele Rubber. I did not use the center rubber that Bernbaum's provided as it was too thick to mount the center divider bars and mirror mount. Luckily I had ordered one from Rock Auto that worked. I had to trim and fit the rubber to length and glued them together with black trim adhesive then let them sit overnight before I installed. My wife and I installed it on 8-17-17, per the instructions from Steele, then I drilled the center divider rubber and installed the bars and mirror the next morning. I am pleased to say that there are no leaks.

Edited by Silverdome
date corrections

Update:  I haven't decided on where the windshield rubber will come from.  But I got some new body mount rubber from Robert's.  They are sized differently from stock and $9 for two IMG_0311.JPG.5ee7e62ec62d53faff8c4db88645ec95.JPG but will work with some mods.  

There is a hole where the steel sleeve and bushing go thru that is larger then stock.  So a new piece of tubing, cut to length, and new 7/16" cap screws, 3/8 are stock, and it will work.

I still have to replace the ones at the very back just aft of the gas tank.    

I got my Ws gasket from Steele. Pricy, but excellent quality. I got my vent window seals, window sweeps and channels from AB. The front seals were pretty nice. The rear ones fit like socks on a rooster. Their shipping was pretty high also. 1 to 10 I would give them a 5.

I see those universal rubber insulators (the new ones) like shown above at swap meets often.

A very common universal item. Usually $4.00 a pair.

I guess will work for some body mount positions.

Roberts gets a "D" in my book.