6 volt alternator (?)

BobT-47P15

I have been thinking about replacing my P15 generator with a new 6 volt alternator. 

Looks like it should bolt right on.

Not sure what if any wiring change is necessary......are two wires on the gen.

Any one do this change and if so do you find it satisfactory?

Thanks.  Bob

I put a 6-volt positive ground alternator in My 47 DeSoto, years ago.   A local auto electric place made it up for me, and installed a wide pulley to match what I had. The alternator has worked great.

There was a brown wire running from a post on the starter solenoid to the "A" terminal of the generator.  (Chrysler's way of keeping the starter from running when the generator is running.) I disconnected this brown wire from the "A" terminal and grounded it.

You don't want or need the regulator.  Keep it for looks, or get rid of it. 

I abandoned the green wire that ran between the "F" terminal of the generator and the "F" terminal of the regulator.  A red wire ran from the "A" terminal of the generator to the "A" terminal of the regulator.  Then a black wire ran from the "B" post of the regulator to the ammeter.  I ran new wire from the alternator wire to the ammeter.  You could connect the alternator wire to the red wire and connect the red wire to the black wire. 

I reused the generator bracket.  More to follow.  Dinner time. 

Sounds pretty simple at this point.  I just put in a new 6 volt battery this week....the old one had been in for about

3 1/2 years.   The car gets a bit hard to start after sitting for two or three weeks and finally wore the old battery

down.  I have a master battery cutoff switch mounted on the firewall to cut out anything running through the

battery while parked.  

DSC00219.jpg

Looks like I have the narrow fan belt.........

DSC00216.jpg