p15 installing over center spring

3046moparcoupe

Was laying under our P15 today, looking at clearance between my new brake lines and the area where the clutch over center spring will connect to the frame and the torque shaft. Then (as Tim once put it, which this is super funny - a great flash of light went off in the distance !! :) ) as my mind began to search for " how am I gonna get this stiff spring assembly back in place without tearing me or the car (probably both) up " ??.

Typically, depending on the size of the spring,...like with brakes, etc...if I can't pull it with just my hand strength, I use a screwdriver, or (I've got one of the old brake spring remove/install tools which looks like a crooked bar with a cupped end that grabs hold to a metal hole edge or stud), anyway - with this spring being about the size of a hood spring, I can't even make the thing budge with just hand force),...so I read through all the forum posts I could find on over center springs,....found a lot of info on adjustment of the spring, but unless I missed it - didn't really find anything concerning installation, except one fella who stated that he used some 3/8 steel cable and a turnbuckle, and four hours later he finally got it in place....

In searching outside the forum, I found the picture attached. Where the same question was being addressed in regards to the old Ford cars.

Hoping folks might share the best way to install an over center spring on a 1946 P15. So far the method shown in the attached picture is the only thing I've stumbled across that seems do-able. I hated not to ask here, as more than once - I have been shown here on the forum, a very simple way to complete a task that I was trying to make more difficult than necessary.

Thanks again for trying to educate an old "parts replacer" into something that more resembles a real, old car mechanic.

Steve

over cventer spring.jpg

Edited by 3046moparcoupe
  • Like 1

If my memory serves me correctly you should be able to install it by just loosening the adjuster fully. Then adjust it to the template in the downloads section. 

• Like 5

Will do guys, earlier today when laying under the car (the turnbuckle type adjusting rod is connected between the pedal and the torque shaft),.... I started backing off on the adjust rod and it looked as though the downward movement I was getting was more forward  than down, so it didn't seem to be the answer at the time,....if it worked for you guys it's gotta work for me...I'll give it a go again......thank you all.

Steve.

Remove the clutch fork rod...

Then turn the turn buckle the correct way...that I cannot remember which way ..rotate almost all the way to the end of the threads on the buckle. 

Just did one  a couple months ago!

No need to extend the spring in any fancy way.

• Like 4