Jaguar suspension swaps?

62rebelP23

Hi guys, I know I haven't been here for a while, but I've been searching the forum for information on installing Jag suspension (specifically, XJ6 front and rear suspensions) in the P15/D24 series of MoPars, and not finding much aside from a link to a guy doing a chevrolet... no help there. Any heathens contraverting chapter and verse by installing these? 

I'm happy to be a heathen............err, well at least a hot rodder and a heathen if truth be known........lol.............anyway the XJ6 Series 1/2 or 3 have been used extensively here in Oz in hot rods BUT ......the rear ends used to be installed by removing them from the original Jag "cage" but that has been changed to most people installing the rear with the suspension still in the cage and using the Jag rubber mounts to adapt to the original rear frame rails, a mate did this on his 1940 Ford and it was a very simple install............however the front suspension is another thing.........at least installing one in a mopar or similar car with an original independent front suspension as the Jag front end mounts essentially to straight chassis rails and the mopar chassis with the large spring pockets and bulging side rails to accommodate the springs means that the Jag suspension won't fit.............BUT I have seen a few installs where the builder cut the original mopar chassis rails off just in front of the firewall, where the mopar chassis kicks up and installed fabricated straight rails which allow the Jag suspension unit to fit...........the only hiccup with the jag front end is the requirement that an upper shock mount has to be fabricated, usually from a piece of 2" box tube cut on a long taper and welded to the Jag crossmember behind the Jag upper inner pivot pins........Jags use the same bolt pattern as late model 1949 on Chevs..........I'd also check the track width as Jags have a fairly wide track and use positive offset wheels which might not clear the Mopar fenders.............sorry don't have any pics, hope this helps.....Andy Douglas     

• Like 2

I hadn't been able to find many pics of a bare frame to see the spring pockets, etc. The easier method of installing the entire rear cage instead of fabricating crossmembers, pinion supports, etc, makes the IRS a great choice for lots of cars. I also wasn't aware that MoPars were so narrow in track, although the rear guards always seemed too small for much of a tire unless it was raised in the rear. I think I DID see someone saying they were installing Jag spindles and control arms onto stock Mopar crossmember, but I lost the thread and can't see if it worked out. Those 11" front rotors and four piston calipers make for incredible stopping power, and coupled with the relevant rear discs, would be optimal. an XJ6 doesn't weigh much different than, say, a P16.

What I'm thinking of is taking a fairly solid 50-52 Plymouth four door that has no engine, trans, etc and transplanting the powertrain from an XJ6 into it. I know of a couple nearby that have grenaded flatheads but complete bodyshells. For all intents and purposes, they'd look stock externally except for the chrome jag wheels. Anyway, right now it's just a pipe dream, but the powertrain parts are sitting there in my back yard....

I think your swap is an excellent idea.  I have a Series III sitting in the corral and have been thinking that the engine might just fit in one of these early cars...just haven't had time to move forward.

As Andydodge mentions the front frame rails will have to be changed.

Here is a link to a list of Jag related suspension threads on the Hamb.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/jag-front-and-rear-threads-on-the-hamb.918195/

Yep I think I've read everything the HAMB has on the subject! You'd think Jag designed the front sub specifically for Ford F1's. I bet the DOHC six would slide right in where a 218 was...... People think the old MoPars were inherently heavy cars but they're really not in comparison to what the Jag was. I'm torn between building something along the lines of a track T (except much larger) using the Jag stuff, or shoehorning it into something else, something innocuous and stealthy

other than....just to say have a Jaguar suspension it is going to be a bit costly.  Adding that you intend to use the rear also is a plus as now you will not have mismatch wheel patterns...(jag is 4 3/4)...the front rails will require quite the invasive action to modify and weld suitable metal to hang the Jag suspension.  It is similar to hanging a Hiedt, Fatman or any other MII front suspension.  The spring pockets gotta go.  With the additional cost of modifying the rails (fatman sells rail kits..be seated when you price them) you can go with a early Dakota front clip, get PS, R&P, swap bar disc brakes for a whole lot less money.  It is but a weekend job to cut and splice both frames complete with clean and paint.  I have not seen you in a number of years...you still off Dorchester Rd?  

Yep, same place I've been for twenty one years now! I've already got the parts, just working out what kind of car to use them on.... If the factory MoPar stuff weren't pretty darn good to start with, I wouldn't be so reticent about simply hacking into a car and doing it just for the doing of it. My Cambridge rode well, the few times I actually got to drive it around (up and down the block a couple of times). And that was on worn out shocks and used radial tires!

Just remembered that a year or so ago there was a thread or maybe a post on here from a guy who had installed a 85-90's Corvette front end using I think a kit but he may have adapted it himself......from memory he sliced and diced the outer chassis rails where they bulge out and either replaced them with a piece of straight "C" channel or modified them to a straight profile to allow the Corvette A arms, etc to fit.............does anyone else remember this post/thread?..............andyd  

its a great conversion for a 46 to 48 ford or a f100 and it drives great however I wouldn't cut up a chassis like a mopar one to do the swap , but if you do get brave and cut your chassis make sure you rubber mount the front end just like its in the jag ,and make sure you use the strange lower steering shaft from the jag , yes I'm a reformed hot rodder