T142 engine

TomP

I have a 1948/9 engine that I am having a few issues with, to start with the distributor has been messed with and I think it would be better to purchase an assembly similar to photo 1. The petrol pump is not playing so I suspect the diaphragm is beyond it's sell by date. Can you please supply me with part #s and a good source of supply, I am in the UK but expect to buy from the States. 

Thank you in advance for you help

597ba03b557d1_DodgePoints.jpg.fe183fcb4b6fa4813759337c9dceef03.jpg

IMG_0420.PNG.e3a11ac8c2dffa7ad29bcc34d4881a7c.PNG

Good news is that these parts are easy to find here. You'be got plenty of options, eBay is always a first check for me, and then there are two great vendors here in Massachusetts. Oldmoparts.com and Robertsmotorparts.com

there is a company here in mass that will rebuild your fuel pump, but I'd just order a replacement as they are not expensive and will get you up and running quicker. 

The complete breaker plate is also with points will be found at oldmoparts, but you will need to call them as I don't believe they have them listed on their website. the condenser and points will need to be bought separate from the plate. Remember to check the small red wire in the photo for damage as these are known to fray over time and give headaches.

need help collecting parts drop me a call as I am 30 minutes from both vendors.

mark d

• Like 2

Have you tried checking with your local military vehicle restoration club,or their supply sources? All  of the WW-2 to 1960's 3/4 ton US military vehicles used these engines,and you might be able to find what you need locally and save a bunch of money.

It was also PROBABLY used in some/most (?) the command cars,and probably some of the half-tracks and tanks,too. No doubt more than a few found their way into WW-2 British vehicles and boats.

Edited by knuckleharley

1 minute ago, Merle Coggins said:

"Then and Now Automotive" are the folks that Mark D referred to for fuel pumps. I would suggest getting in contact with them for a rebuild kit. They are awesome and super easy to install, and can tolerate modern fuels.

http://www.then-now-auto.com/antique-auto-parts/

BTW,are the British being abused with ethanol like we are?

To think the same lunatics that are always screaming at us about the environment are also the idiots responsible for ethanol makes my head hurt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

BTW,are the British being abused with ethanol like we are?

To think the same lunatics that are always screaming at us about the environment are also the idiots responsible for ethanol makes my head hurt.

Scroll down I have already selected your state.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NC

• Like 1

Thanks gents , that gives me something to chew over, will check out why I have low compression Friday, will try not to burden you Mark but good to know I can if need be . This engine /trans doesn't owe me lot so can afford a few £s to get my 41 PT125 movable, I just don't want to drop it in the engine bay without getting it going . As far as ethanol we are moving from E5 to E10 but the time frame is blurred, in Europe it's been E10 from the beginning with a threat of another 2 1/2%, The biker boys hate it, but the idiots know what their doing don't they. 

no problem Tom, happy to help. By the way I'm the same mark that Bob Drown referred you to on Facebook in case you hadn't already figured that out. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Scroll down I have already selected your state.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NC

I appreciate the effort Frank,but the only one closer to me than 25 miles one way in the airport,and they  won't let you drive up to the pumps.  You have to walk maybe 100 feet carrying 5 gallon gas cans. Two is all they will let you fill any one trip.

One local station used to carry "racing gas",but it was about 2 bucks a gallon higher than ethanol gas. I hate ethanol,but not that much.

5 hours ago, TomP said:

As far as ethanol we are moving from E5 to E10 but the time frame is blurred, in Europe it's been E10 from the beginning with a threat of another 2 1/2%, The biker boys hate it, but the idiots know what their doing don't they. 

Would like to agree with the last phrase of  your comment, maybe with a question mark...but it might be interpreted as political.;)

Edited by T120

• 1 month later...

The de-coke is almost finished and I've started to think of what lies ahead, couple of thing spring to mind

1. Do these engine units come under the Floating Power banner.
  2. The front mounting has the vulcanized rubber mounting on the mounting bracket.
  3. What happens at the back end, we have the wide bell housing that bolt to the frame rails but should there be any shock absorbsion between these mountings.

Perhaps I'm overthinking it but I already have a 33 PD Coupe and that has 2 Rubber mounts on the beam above the bell housing.

Many thanks guys

When you try to find distributer parts always refer to the identifier that starts with the letters followed by the numbers.  Several different assemblies were used, and although the distributors will interchange, interior parts and caps are different among the series.  As such refer to your distributor as IAP 4001-1,and only buy parts for that series.  The last time I purchased points, the counter man asked if I wanted Bosch, so they should be available on your side of the pond. You may be able to extend the life of your ignition points by dressing them with a points file.  This will level any high spots allowing for an accurate gap setting.  If you can't find a points file don't be temped to use sand paper or emery cloth, as the abrasives can embed into the contact surface and cause arching problems. Good luck with your truck.

Don't be concerned about using Dugan's help.  Sometimes abuse is the only attention he gets!!!!   Kidding just kidding....

47 minutes ago, TomP said:

The de-coke is almost finished and I've started to think of what lies ahead, couple of thing spring to mind

1. Do these engine units come under the Floating Power banner.
  2. The front mounting has the vulcanized rubber mounting on the mounting bracket.
  3. What happens at the back end, we have the wide bell housing that bolt to the frame rails but should there be any shock absorbsion between these mountings.

Perhaps I'm overthinking it but I already have a 33 PD Coupe and that has 2 Rubber mounts on the beam above the bell housing.

Many thanks guys

Yes if you look close you will even see floating power stamped into the front mount. The trucks have the rubber mounts in the back to the sides of the bell. There is an upsidedown L shaped piece that bolts to the bellhousing. Under that are the rubber mounts. 

9 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Yes if you look close you will even see floating power stamped into the front mount. The trucks have the rubber mounts in the back to the sides of the bell. There is an upsidedown L shaped piece that bolts to the bellhousing. Under that are the rubber mounts. 

Are these L shaped mounts still available, I have nothing on the housing or the frame?

4 hours ago, TomP said:

Are these L shaped mounts still available, I have nothing on the housing or the frame?

You'd have to find a junkyard truck and grab a set. You can just see one on the side of my bellhousing and the upper rubber mount. 

withengine2.jpg

Ignor my last post, went to my workshop and checked.  Thanks again for your help

IRS20170918_171241_278.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2017 at 1:00 PM, Young Ed said:

You'd have to find a junkyard truck and grab a set. You can just see one on the side of my bellhousing and the upper rubber mount

withengine2.jpg

Looking at Ed's build and knowing what I have in my stores I am wondering if there is any advantage of adding servo assisted master cylinder, I am a great believer n staying as stock but safety is a big issue and would the effort be worth the gain.Thanks

7 minutes ago, TomP said:

Looking at Ed's build and knowing what I have in my stores I am wondering if there is any advantage of adding servo assisted master cylinder, I am a great believer n staying as stock but safety is a big issue and would the effort be worth the gain.Thanks

You could use a mid-60's non-booster dual master cylinder. I had a 68 Fairlane with one,and have seen GM's of that era with dual reservoir master cylinder made for disc brakes up front. Or even one made for drums up front if you are just looking for the safety of a dual reservoir system and want to keep your front drums.

On 10/10/2017 at 11:20 PM, knuckleharley said:

You could use a mid-60's non-booster dual master cylinder. I had a 68 Fairlane with one,and have seen GM's of that era with dual reservoir master cylinder made for disc brakes up front. Or even one made for drums up front if you are just looking for the safety of a dual reservoir system and want to keep your front drums.

Thank you sir for your thoughts on what's possible, I think I will put this on the back boiler for another day when closer to completion. The spares I have will stay where they are, I have both a BMW and Audi servo I could use both mid nineties which might be a little too strong for drums.