Trunnion Joint Grease

Branded

I'm cleaning and greasing my trunnion u joints today. Planning on using high temp wheel bearing grease. Manual calls for 1 to 1 1/2 ounce of grease. I don't have a scale to measure ounces, anyone have a idea how much and ounce of grease is. A table spoon, 5 table spoons ? I'm sure this question has been asked before but I didn't find it doing a search.

Access to your spouse's measuring spoons but they are hiding the kitchen scale from you? :)

As long as you are in the kitchen rummaging around through the drawers, check the refrigerator. The butter in mine comes in 4oz bars/sticks and I am guessing that it is about the same density as the grease they originally called for, so imagine 1/4 of a stick of butter for sizing purposes.

• Like 2

Good idea, didn't think about the butter sticks having measurements. Looks like 1 1/2 ounces would be 3 Table spoons

IMG_0551.JPG

I ended up using CV joint grease, figured it was close to the original heavy fiber grease. The CV joint grease came in a 3 ounce packet, made it easy to figure out amount needed per joint.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

Time to go to Dollar Tree.........

41dXZtQg9UL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I'm hoping my wife doesn't notice the cv joint grease stains on her measuring cups. LOL

• Like 1

I'd be worried about what I used on my toast.................yum................andyd

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

I'd be worried about what I used on my toast.................yum................andyd

Probably can't tell the difference between Vegemite and CV grease on your toast, assuming there is one. :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, laynrubber said:

Can there be such a thing as too much grease....I filled mine a plenty.

Yes, you can over grease things. Seems like the usual failure on over greasing is damaging the seals but I suppose there could be a number of things that could happen depending on the device. Not sure the failure mode for the ball and trunnion U-Joints if over greased, but if the original engineers cautioned against it they had a reason.

Another big issue is the mixing of different types of grease. The two can separate out.  This can cause bearing failures from lack of  correct lubrication..

Always wash out old before putting in new.                       Molybdenum disulfide would be the correct lube for the trunnion design joints.

Thanks Todd & Jon.............lol...........just pee'd myself..........lol.......actually had vegemite on the toast a few minutes ago.......lol....I suppose you could use it for grease at a pinch......lol..........I'd go back in my corner but theres some jerk there already............lol............thanks guys, good to have a laugh to start the day.......regards, andyd 

• Like 2