Spare L6 Engine...Education To Help Buy Or Not Is Appreciated

keithb7

Hi folks, 

Today I followed up a lead on a spare engine that I located. I was hoping to meet a fellow vintage MOPAR enthusiast here locally. I sure did, while attending my first ever car show. A nice retired gent  approached me to let me know that he had a spare 1953 L6 engine at home that he'd like to sell. 

Upon arrival at sellers house today, I found a 1953 Plymouth convertible that he is in the middle of restoring.  We chatted mopars for a while and he shared some cool things with me. He has some nice parts and service manuals. I had a good glance through his parts book. I have my sights set on acquiring my own soon.

Here is the engine and ID numbers off it. The gentleman told me it was pulled from a truck and was running when removed. I would like to learn if this engine would me a good core to build up, and have ready to install in my 1953 Windsor Deluxe when needed. I could leisurely rebuilt it at will and not feel any pressure to do it quickly. Nor worry about doling out chunks of cash all at once . Here is what I found:

svVECqLq_QEd_ShddkI7SY6G64oACoKK3E_BGmx-

ZuyTxNSrQxaXKFgB1fGL9cGSGkWoOofiHpPJWa_x

owlD_sDGxATs1vSAGiAcR0rDJwt29qfzf3CHxtRa

TC1Ld7kQjheJ-DpZgV37ZmTmZN5AmcgK3m2EjmpD

KkHHnDhSiWlRVGH3pDDq7FKbXQYgg8F8gSOQuFbE

Here is what I know:

25" long head. Same as my 1953 Windsor.

Engine block SN D32C 1818C

Head M108 1139403

Concerns thoughts that I have:

I do not know what that activator thing is on the exhaust manifold. My Windsor does not have this. I suppose I could just swap manifolds over. I suspect this truck engine may have a different cam profile? Will my clutch housing line up with this block? I have a fluid torque drive in my Windsor. This truck engine has the clutch on it. I had a 3 speed manual tranny.  Maybe I can this clutch for future use?

Any help and your thoughts are appreciated. Engine as is, is priced very nicely . Included in the the price, it comes with a wheel'd proper engine stand for rebuild. 

Edited by keithb7

That is a Canadian 218 engine  (25 inch) and although it would fit into your Windsor, bolt for bolt, it would prove to be woefully underpowered.

The bigger cars need the necessary torque of the longer stroke to get them moving.  If the price is right, there are some parts you might need.

These include the manifolding and the water pump, the cylinder head  ( good way to raise compression ) and miscellaneous pieces for the 25 inch block.

• Like 1

When you say accuator are you talking about the metal assebly that is bolted onto the top of the manifold and is directly behind the spot for the carb? If so this is a sisson automatic choke this is run by an electric line coming from the starter selinoid.  NOS ones go for around $175.

I have a manual of this choke

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Just so I understand what I am reading here: My 1953 is an 265 CI 25" engine. 265 is the displacement of the cylinder when the piston is at BDC. Then as the piston is moved up the air/fuel is compressed into the combustion chamber in the head. Would this combustion chamber in my 265 head, be the same size combustion chamber as in this 218 CI engine head? If so the heads are the same. If not, and the 218 combustion chamber is smaller, my 265 with the 218 head on it would end up with considerably higher compression. Right? Raising compression how much? Would I need premium gas? Not sure I want higher compression if it puts more stress on my crank and pistons, and creates more heat.

If anyone has done this, I'd love to hear about the results. Thanks for the replies. Keep 'em coming please.

Edited by keithb7

In order for the  engine in a Plymouth to have the same compression ratio   say 7 to 1 in a 3 3/8 by 4 1/16 cylinder    (218 divided by 6)   it must employ a smaller chambered head than that of a 265   3 7/16 by 4 3/4    (265 divided by 6 ).    Therefore if you use a 218 head on a 265 , it will increase the compression ratio significantly.  It is a hot afternoon and I am unwilling to do the math )

It doesn't have enough power for your car,but IF you can get it at a really good price,it might be worth buying as future trade goods. IF you can afford to spend the money and just sit on it.

You never know who you are going to meet that might have something for sale you need,and they just happen to need a 25 inch 218  for their restoration project. If you get it at a good price,the worse thing that can happen is you end up selling it to another Mopar guy that needs it for what you paid for it. Or at least that is a theory I am working on,anyhow.

• Like 1

I think it would have to be pretty low priced for me to take it and store it at this point. I could pull the parts off that I could use I suppose. Based on what have learned from researching this today, I think I could use:

Water Pump, Oil Pump, Intake Manifold, Exhaust Manifold, Cam Timing Gear Set & Chain. According to Bernbaum's catalog the clutch and housing in Fluid Drive and Standard Shift are the same. Maybe I can use those.

Starter? Unsure. 

I hear about folks cracking manifolds. That might get expensive trying to find one, if that were to happen. It sure would be nice to have a spare distributor if it worked on my Windsor.  I will contact the seller and see what he wants to do. The value is not there for me. I am iffy about storing it. Space is a premium here at my place. I hate to see these old engines go for scrap metal. I may save it if it's headed there.

Edited by keithb7

I think patience is the key.  

The 236 in my 1940 desoto was in bad condition and would need the cylinders sleeved to be able to rebuild. I got anxious and purchased a nice rebuilt 23"  218 with a 230 rotary assembly from a member on this site. He gave me a great deal in order for me to afford shipping halfway across the country.

After doing further research And better understanding of the benefits of a 25" block, I decided to go back to use a 25" engine. I sold the 218 and purchased a used 1950 25" 251 engine from a member on the other side of the country. Paid much more than I should have (shipping)   Engine came with broken intake manifold, broken   fuelPump, no carburetor and the engine had very  low compression across all cylinders. Not the sellers fault as I did not clarify specifics, got anxious and paid way to much for shipping. $550

A few months later I picked up a 265 Chrysler six that was advertised through the Instagram RodSwapper account for $200

-very clean engine, spitfire head, freshly rebuilt starter, freshly rebuilt carburetor, new ignition wires, cap n rotor and all assesories attached as well as an automatic 2 speed transmission.

The seller just wanted to get his money back for the carb rebuilt and tuneup parts he spent on.  He was going the V8 route

Edited by 40desoto
worse grammar when drinking
  • Like 1

Recently I got $100 for the exhaust manifold alone.   Any more they are just not out there when you need one.

16 hours ago, dpollo said:

That is a Canadian 218 engine  (25 inch) and although it would fit into your Windsor, bolt for bolt, it would prove to be woefully underpowered.

The bigger cars need the necessary torque of the longer stroke to get them moving.  If the price is right, there are some parts you might need.

These include the manifolding and the water pump, the cylinder head  ( good way to raise compression ) and miscellaneous pieces for the 25 inch block.

I concur 100% buy another 265 or at the very least a 250. Stay away from the 218 or 228s, underpowered for your needs...

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I got exactly what I needed here. I will pass on buying this engine.

I would like to learn how to decipher what the engine size is from the info I supplied.  Was it the C32 stamp on the block? Meaning it was for the 1949 Dodge 6  Special Deluxe car? That this car had a 218 in it? Or was it some of the markings on the cylinder head?  If you could teach me, then I'd know exactly what to look for on any future L6 engines I find.

Thanks, Keith