Results of incorrect wire size(s)

pflaming

I have been using a toggle switch for my  ignition switch for some time without any problems. Suddenly I'm having problems, why?  This afternoon I photographed the wiring under my dash and studied it this evening. I discovered that the out wire on the switch was smaller than the input wire. Somewhere recently I change some wires, ops! 

With some  net research I learned that if the out put wire is smaller, it may be forced to carry more energy than it is able and thus can melt the insulation ground out and even start a fire.  For most readers that is electricty 101, but to some of us that realization could save a wiring harness, even a vehicle, maybe a shop, and even a cat's life. 

Will be changing some wires tomorrow. Years ago Plymouthy Adams taught me that the "net is my friend", he was correct, TKS Tim. 

• Like 2