New Fuel Pump, But No Fuel

On 7/30/2017 at 7:51 PM, Young Ed said:

I've had 1 that no matter what wouldn't prime from turning over but a couple brief starts by manually filling and it was good. Of course you gotta make sure it's not getting air

Well Ed, you sir are the winner!  She's a runner!  Filled the gerry can up all the way, kept feeding the carb fuel, an low and behold . . . . She starts and runs AWESOME.  Almost perfect idle, but she's really rich.  

Thanks to everyone for the advise!

M.Klapp

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M.Klapp said:

Yeah, we eyeballed it on the rebuild.  Didn't have a gauge float gauge.   

M.Klapp

All you need is something flat to lay across the carb and a ruler. 

7 hours ago, Young Ed said:

All you need is something flat to lay across the carb and a ruler. 

Yeah, that's what we did.  Rebuild kit measurement wasn't 100% clear, just said to use a 5/64th gauge, but didn't reference what to measure to.  We laid a straight edge on the carb and eyeballed 5/64th (don't have anything that measures to 5/64th) to the top of the float.

Ill try and get a gauge/ruler with the 64th marks.  Can anyone verify 5/64th is right?

M.Klapp 

1 hour ago, M.Klapp said:

Yeah, that's what we did.  Rebuild kit measurement wasn't 100% clear, just said to use a 5/64th gauge, but didn't reference what to measure to.  We laid a straight edge on the carb and eyeballed 5/64th (don't have anything that measures to 5/64th) to the top of the float.

Ill try and get a gauge/ruler with the 64th marks.  Can anyone verify 5/64th is right?

M.Klapp 

Did you hold the float up against the needle valve when measuring?

On 8/3/2017 at 3:39 AM, M.Klapp said:

M.Klapp 

Sometimes you can use a drill bit for measuring . 

• Like 1

On 03/08/2017 at 7:39 AM, M.Klapp said:

M.Klapp 

Is this gauge 5/64"?

4/64"=1/16" or 5/64"=1/16"+1/64"

DSCN4242.JPG

On 04/08/2017 at 10:54 PM, Jerry Roberts said:

Sometimes you can use a drill bit for measuring . 

*FLOAT SETTING:When using a SOLID needle,the distance  from the top of float should be 5/64 inch(gauge T109-50),plus or minus 1/64 inch,below top surface of carbureter body casting.Float setting for SPRING loaded needle and seat assembly:place a .050" feeler gauge between lip of float and intake needle pin.With intake needle spring fully compressed,top of float should be 5/64 inch (1,98mm) (gauge T109-50) below top surface of carbureter body casting.Adjust by bending lip on float.

On 8/5/2017 at 8:08 AM, Fernando Mendes said:

Is this gauge 5/64"?

4/64"=1/16" or 5/64"=1/16"+1/64"

DSCN4242.JPG

9 hours ago, Fernando Mendes said:

*FLOAT SETTING:When using a SOLID needle,the distance  from the top of float should be 5/64 inch(gauge T109-50),plus or minus 1/64 inch,below top surface of carbureter body casting.Float setting for SPRING loaded needle and seat assembly:place a .050" feeler gauge between lip of float and intake needle pin.With intake needle spring fully compressed,top of float should be 5/64 inch (1,98mm) (gauge T109-50) below top surface of carbureter body casting.Adjust by bending lip on float.

Thanks Fernando.  Plan on making a gauge, should be pretty easy.  And, its definitely getting too much fuel.  Getting some seepage at the bowl gasket.

M.Klapp

2 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Someone on here, Greg, I think, said to lower the float level 1/32? below what the manual calls for in order to compensate for todays fuel expanding differently/more rapidly causing the engine to run rich......

That's good to know.  Anyone have a link to that post?

10 hours ago, M.Klapp said:

Thanks Fernando.  Plan on making a gauge, should be pretty easy.  And, its definitely getting too much fuel.  Getting some seepage at the bowl gasket.

M.Klapp

keep in mind that for an accurate set of round feeler gauges one can use the appropriate drill bit.......

29 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

keep in mind that for an accurate set of round feeler gauges one can use the appropriate drill bit.......

I've heard this before and I'm just not picturing it in my head.  I feel like the top edge of the bowl won't lie the bit sit flat.

Sorry, maybe I just need to try it.

M.Klapp

5 minutes ago, M.Klapp said:

I've heard this before and I'm just not picturing it in my head.  I feel like the top edge of the bowl won't lie the bit sit flat.

Sorry, maybe I just need to try it.

M.Klapp

invert the carb, place a flat edge across the top of carb bowl.....with float now hanging in the full rise position (fuel shutoff)....insert the feeler gauge...adjust float tab as needed to get proper or personal selected gap...

if you look at the guage in the picture, it is just a straight edge with a 5/64 tab...the bit will substitute for the tab.

• 1 month later...

Got it up and running again, was having a starting issue, but have some seepage on the driver side front edge of the bowl still.  New (2nd one) gasket and torqued down as much as I dare without ripping the threads out.

M.Klapp

• 1 month later...