New Fuel Pump, But No Fuel

11 hours ago, greg g said:

Is your needle valve in the float chamber of the carb opening to allow fuel into the carb?

Maybe you didn't need a new fuel pump.

Fuel pump was for sure shot.  Not sure if the needle valve is opening, but it does move freely. 

10 hours ago, 4mula-dlx said:

Remove the fuel line at the carb and find a way to put it in a bottle, crank the engine with the key off and see if it's pumping a reasonable amount into the bottle...if so...your needle sounds like it's stuck 

This is next, but when I pulled the line off the carb, there was NO fuel, no wetness at all and nothing in the carb.  Like the fuel is not even exiting the pump.

M.Klapp

Put a little gas in the carb manually and get the truck to start. Might require a few times until the pump starts pumping up fuel. Takes a while to get the system primed again. 

Disconnect the fuel line at the carb, direct the flow into a plastic bottle or such. Remove the coil wire from the dist crank the engine, observe the flow.  Have some assist you, do 12 pulses of the pump, you should have around 8 to 10 ounces in the container.  What fuel pump did you get???  If an airtex brand assembled in Mexico, check the pin that the can lever pivots on.  They are notorious for walking out and letting the lever loose.  They press the pins in for an interference fit, but many times it is not sufficiently tight.  Make a clip or "stake" it in with a punch to assure it stays where it is supposed to be.

9 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Put a little gas in the carb manually and get the truck to start. Might require a few times until the pump starts pumping up fuel. Takes a while to get the system primed again. 

I'll try this one.  Was wondering how long it would take to prime the system.  Also thinking I might be sucking some air, will make sure I've got enough fuel.

6 hours ago, greg g said:

Disconnect the fuel line at the carb, direct the flow into a plastic bottle or such. Remove the coil wire from the dist crank the engine, observe the flow.  Have some assist you, do 12 pulses of the pump, you should have around 8 to 10 ounces in the container.  What fuel pump did you get???  If an airtex brand assembled in Mexico, check the pin that the can lever pivots on.  They are notorious for walking out and letting the lever loose.  They press the pins in for an interference fit, but many times it is not sufficiently tight.  Make a clip or "stake" it in with a punch to assure it stays where it is supposed to be.

It is an Airtex pump :O(    

I'll check that pin and make sure its secure.  I also have the original pump that I planned on rebuilding.

4 hours ago, The Oil Soup said:

Like the fuel is not even exiting the pump.

Perhaps the fuel is exiting the pump.....into the crankcase?

Never thought of this one, but I pulled the dip stick and the oil still smells like oil.  No fuel smell to speak of.  

M.Klapp

Just now, M.Klapp said:

I'll try this one.  Was wondering how long it would take to prime the system.  Also thinking I might be sucking some air, will make sure I've got enough fuel.

I've had 1 that no matter what wouldn't prime from turning over but a couple brief starts by manually filling and it was good. Of course you gotta make sure it's not getting air

Hopefully you didn't get a dud pump...if you said you had a Carter I would recommend a trip back to the parts store...they used to be great, but sadly about 10 years ago they just went way down hill on quality.

good luck, and the carb prime will likely get you going.

I had a problem just like this. The short section of rubber hose that goes from the end of the hard fuel line to the fuel pump was so dry that it had cracks in it and was sucking in to much air. I replaced that and also the accelerator pump (carb rebuild) and no more fuel system problems.

21 hours ago, 4mula-dlx said:

Hopefully you didn't get a dud pump...if you said you had a Carter I would recommend a trip back to the parts store...they used to be great, but sadly about 10 years ago they just went way down hill on quality.

good luck, and the carb prime will likely get you going.

Lets hope so, and thanks for the good wishes.

20 hours ago, jpartington said:

I had a problem just like this. The short section of rubber hose that goes from the end of the hard fuel line to the fuel pump was so dry that it had cracks in it and was sucking in to much air. I replaced that and also the accelerator pump (carb rebuild) and no more fuel system problems.

Yeah, that's new too.  The last one was way passed shot.

I'm going to go grab a full can of gas and see if that helps, along with Ed's suggestion above.  If that doesn't work, I'll pull the line out of the fuel pump and see what's happening, if anything there.  If we're still stumped, I'll pull the pump and smash it, just to make me feel better.  :O)

Thanks for all the help.

M.Klapp

7 minutes ago, 4mula-dlx said:

These headaches are why I went to an electric pump right off the bat, but they also have their own challenges.  

After three months of restoration my fuel pump  is now ok.

22.Mai.17 015.jpg

DSCN4067.JPG

why so many gaskets and they do not look to be flat. ALso there is another posrt hole just above where tje  metal tube or gas line is. Whay is there a hole and or is it plugged.

Rich Hartung

7 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

why so many gaskets and they do not look to be flat. ALso there is another posrt hole just above where tje  metal tube or gas line is. Whay is there a hole and or is it plugged.

Rich Hartung

Only me know why 5(five) paper gaskets I did after 3(three) months until my PU runs ok.It only ran in 1st or 2nd shifting.When I ran in 3rd shifting its engine stops.(fuel failing).Now after these five paper gaskets(since may,22nd) it runs all ok.This hole is plugged.

22.Mai.17 014.jpg

DSCN3947.JPG

DSCN3889.JPG

DSCN3948.JPG

DSCN4049.JPG

DSCN3898.JPG

DSCN4065.JPG

Reparos bomba de gasolina 001.JPG

1 hour ago, 4mula-dlx said:

These headaches are why I went to an electric pump right off the bat, but they also have their own challenges.  

Been thinking about this.  I actually have a red top pump laying around, but its 12v . . . . :mad:

M.Klapp

When i replaced all the fuel lines in my truck I had to prime the whole system, it was taking forever. I ended up disconnecting the line off the carb and putting a air gun in the tank and wrapped a rag around it to make sure most the air went in. And just pulled the trigger till gas shot out of the line at the carb. Maybe a bit crude but seemed effective. Just have to be a bit careful about how much pressure you put into the tank if you have a good seal.

Edited by jpartington

3 hours ago, jpartington said:

When i replaced all the fuel lines in my truck I had to prime the whole system, it was taking forever. I ended up disconnecting the line off the carb and putting a air gun in the tank and wrapped a rag around it to make sure most the air went in. And just pulled the trigger till gas shot out of the line at the carb. Maybe a bit crude but seemed effective. Just have to be a bit careful about how much pressure you put into the tank if you have a good seal.

To save any issues, next time all you need to do is pull the line off the carb, put a 4-6" rubber line on it that fits fairly snug and put a small slit in it at the 1/2 way and put a blow gun into the slit...it pulls like your siphoning the gas and doesn't put pressure on the tank or system...just be prepared when the gas starts coming with a rag or bottle.

I've pumped out a few gas tanks this way.

I learned in this forum months ago that fuel system is not necessary to prime.Oil system yes.Another thing I learned in this forum was to put 2(two) great fuel filters in the system,one before the pump and another after the pump.Try this procedure.