What are these 'things' in my driver's side front coil spring?

medium_jon

IMG_9621.jpg.7ee2efaa0d53707c1a6056992d577eb5.jpg

Those 'spacers' / 'bumpers' / 'things' are in the front Driver's side coil springs on my 1950 P20 Plymouth Special DeLuxe Club Coupe. Only two and not evenly spaced. At first, I thought they were rubber, but I'm actually not convinced they aren't metal. I should have taken a magnet to them.

What is their intended purpose?

A piss poor weak spring rebuild.:D

• Like 1

We use to use them on springs to raise the car height. Just saying, assume your springs are good, then throw in a couple sets of the blocks.

Then throw on a set of heavy duty air shocks on the rear, we were turning 1963 falcons into gassers by raising the suspension up.

But yeah, they have no value and should be tossed  :P

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Los_Control said:

We use to use them on springs to raise the car height. Just saying, assume your springs are good, then throw in a couple sets of the blocks.

Then throw on a set of heavy duty air shocks on the rear, we were turning 1963 falcons into gassers by raising the suspension up.

But yeah, they have no value and should be tossed  :P

We did exactly the same thing in1966 with my buddy's mother's '65 Mustang 6 cylinder coupe before we'd cruise Frisch's drive in, only we used the twist in metal type.  I found the rubber ones in the front springs of my P18 while replacing the coils this Wednesday. They may have led to the broken right side spring as they have to overload the adjacent coils. Eaton Spring shipped me new springs overnight.

DSC07716.jpg

• Like 1

sadly enough these gimmick stop gap fixes often lead to hard failure later....I think most all can trace their origins to Shadyslim's Used Cars...almost as sad as seeing a car jacked up in the rear with shackles...a prelude to a bent leaf spring and an "at the time" cool look....but everyone had a beater in the day and money for gas and cutting corners was more than turn the wheel and gak it...

• Like 1

I thought they were for when you lowered a car the very first time with a torch at the tender age of 16 and got it a tad too low and was too busy working a min wage job and chasing skirts to fix it right. They're easilly removed with a good launch from a railroad crossing. Your results may vary.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, medium_jon said:

I think you got it wrong -- it isn't "Outside the box" it is "Inside the coil" :) 

True I guess but a bit is hanging outside the coil.  I see these things and it just makes me wonder what the situation was that called for this? I've been into dirt bikes, and off road vehicles since I was very young. I've made many trail repairs to limp something back to civilization or camp. That spring doesn't appear to be hurt and in need of a chunk of wood crammed in it. Maybe it's part of a hillbilly lift kit that  will probably leave the scene at the first mud hole.

1 hour ago, medium_jon said:

WOW @Young Ed I just don't know what to say about that piece of work. Looks like they had to beat the @#%@#$ out of it to get it there.

All I can comment is that I took that picture in a junkyard and apparently that car belonged there. 

4 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

All I can comment is that I took that picture in a junkyard and apparently that car belonged there. 

Are you saying it had other high quality, well engineered repairs? lol

9 minutes ago, medium_jon said:

I guess I t was those 'quality' repairs that earned them a spot in the junkyard 

got me convinced...................:lol:  

I have seen a few junkyard mods that would raise the hair on any dogs back...I rarely have a camera with me in the wrecking yard....my phone has a camera....I can this, I have never even investigated how it works much less try to use it...