I screwed up bad this time (bushing)

48ply1stcar

I couldn't understand why it was hard to install this bushing.  So I took it out, thought I may have cross-threaded it cleaned the threads even ground off some of the first two threads.  re-installed and it was real hard to turn.  Took a break and now it can't get out.  Bent the end of a one foot pry bar that I was using with a steel pipe and I tried to remove it with heat and a impact wrench.

support bushing.jpg

heat it a little and shove some wax against the heated bushing and support. Let it cool and try removing the bushing..

I would not heat the bushing, but rather the part the bushing is screwed into. The idea is to expand it away from the bushing. The wax works good, got an old candle?

• Like 2

They are supposed to be tight.  I think if you heat the knuckle support and try your impact wrench again it may come out all right.   Then, with the knuckle support hot and the bushing fresh out of your home freezer or chilled with dry ice,  run it back in with the impact wrench

Edited by dpollo
clarity

2 hours ago, Mike36 said:

I would not heat the bushing, but rather the part the bushing is screwed into. The idea is to expand it away from the bushing. The wax works good, got an old candle?

You only heat the bushing and support just enough to get the wax to met/l flow. Then let it cool some...remove bushing.

Use a 3/4" ratchet or bigger if you have one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 48ply1stcar said:

Has this happened to anyone else.  Ideas, I been working with the set I bought from Berbaum the other bushing went in fine.  I can only think that I cross threaded the bushing.

Key phrase here is,"the other bushing went in fine ".  For this bushing to lock up so tight that you bent a bar, there is metal to metal interference. When you get it out, the source of the interference has to be discovered and corrected. Cross threading is a possibility, so is a defective bushing. The threads in the support may be damaged now and need repair in addition to whatever the bushing problem is. 20 years in a machine shop taught me that when resistance is high in a threaded assembly, STOP and back it out. Then investigate until the source of the resistance is discovered and corrected. This is ALWAYS easier and less time consuming than straightening out a mess and purchasing new parts. There was a time when I was younger that I felt the pain and frustration of trying to "force" it together. Never do that. Keep at it, you will solve this and be a better mechanic with this experience in your memory.

• Like 2

Mike is correct.   A problem occurred often enough with these pivots in that the outer threads would become loose and the bushing would turn in the knuckle support.It is quite possible that an oversize outside diameter bushing was available to "save" an otherwise worn out knuckle support.   Your second bushing could be one of these. If your original bushing was good on the outside, a measurement would confirm where your problem lies.

Probably a chinese replacement bushing...Orient sizing......

• Like 2

Having a brother-in-law with skills and BIG tools.  We got it out, well they got it out my brother-in-law and a nephew.  Acetylene torch and the biggest damn pipe I've ever seen in the hands of a 240 pound nephew.  Easy-peasy.

• Like 1

Brute strength can often succeed where fitness and skill have failed but I would still do some measuring before attempting to re assemble.

Dodge B4ya may be right.