New dodge truck owner

Hi all,

I am a new member here and joined in hopes that I can get some information for my father.

He recently retired and picked up a 1952  Dodge B3. It is missing some parts to get the engine running and I have no idea where to get the parts. It needs a generator and an  ignition switch. 

Where would be good places to look? He is going to be slowly restoring it and he is not very computer savvy. Any help is appreciated.

Keeping these trucks original is super cool but I went 12 volt and put in an alternator. Any kind of switch with a key or not can work as an ignition. Mine has a standard auto/marine keyswitch I just don't use the spring loaded momentary start function since the starter is foot actuated.

good luck!

Yes he would be interested in the generator. I will send you a pm. Sadly, all the yards around here do not have vintage cars anymore. They are all gone to the crusher. Craigslist has been no help so far.

3 minutes ago, Radarsonwheels said:

Keeping these trucks original is super cool but I went 12 volt and put in an alternator. Any kind of switch with a key or not can work as an ignition. Mine has a standard auto/marine keyswitch I just don't use the spring loaded momentary start function since the starter is foot actuated.

good luck!

You could use the spring loaded contact on your key switch to by pass the ballast resistor and send a full 12 volts to the coil for easier starting. Or if you use an electric fuel pump to prime the carburetor you could power up the electric pump when starting the engine using the spring loaded contact.

• Like 1

Forgot to say- you can usually get headlight style mushroom pull switches pretty cheap at pep boys or whatever- they look close to the metal mushroom type pull knobs on the old truck dashbords. That would work in the meantime while you wait for original parts or just work in general with no cutting anything up.

I have mine wired so the first detent is fuel pump & brake lights, the second detent adds in headlights and tail lights. Power to it and the coil is on a keyswitch.

3 hours ago, Vanspeed said:

Yes he would be interested in the generator. I will send you a pm. Sadly, all the yards around here do not have vintage cars anymore. They are all gone to the crusher. Craigslist has been no help so far.

I have the same problem with the pick a part places around here..... living in a small town makes finding parts harder I think!