kingpin Q

Cudan

hi,

i have a set of new kingpins, the right size .795 inch but the dont fit in the upright support ? do i have to use a brake hone to make them fit in the upright  support ?

dan

Don't use a brake hone.  This is something that requires a machinist, the right tools, and some finesse.  Take take the kingpins and uprights to a front end shop.  They will measure the kingpins, then turn the uprights to the proper tolerance.  There is a specific term for this procedure, but the last time I had it done was about 20 years ago, and I don't remember it off hand.  But - it is a common procedure.   

I just put new king pins  (.795") and bushings in my P18 on Wednesday. I used an old Sears .797" king pin reamer that I bought on Ebay for $20.00' to ream the bushings. It worked perfectly for removing, installing, and sizing the bushings. The pin was a firm push fit in the bushings. My new king pins wouldn't quite start into the uprights either. The old pins measured .795" and had to be driven out with a drift. I didn't know what fit the pins are supposed to have in the uprights so I briefly ran a 1" ball hone through the upright just to clean things up, but it didn't help. After much consideration, I carefully started the reamer in the upright bore. It's slightly tapered so it starts easily. It barley met any resistance as it passed through the bore with no pressure, just turning gently back and forth. This leads me to believe the upright bore is also 797"or really close to that. I did feel it clean up the area around lock pin hole as it went by. I was then able to gently tap the pin through the bushings and upright with a little brass tack hammer. I'm putting new coil springs in today before I check the camber and toe. Can't wait to test drive it!

DSC07681.jpg

1 hour ago, Cudan said:

hi,

i have a set of new kingpins, the right size .795 inch but the dont fit in the upright support ? do i have to use a brake hone to make them fit in the upright  support ?

dan

Where did you get those pins? Are they re-pops sourced from Asia? If so, they are too big. It has been a problem recently. Yes, the new bushings pressed into the knuckle does need to be reamed to size but you should not have to resize the upright support! Sounds like the pins are too large in diameter. Find new old stock pins or maybe use your old ones if they are not galled. That is what I had to do.

• Like 1

they are from bernbaum and measure .795 the right size ( i checked it ).

the old pins pas easy with extra clearence through the uprights, ( worn out ) perhaps they left some residu inside the uprights.

20 minutes ago, rekbender said:

I just put new king pins  (.795") and bushings in my P18 on Wednesday. I used an old Sears .797" king pin reamer that I bought on Ebay for $20.00' to ream the bushings. It worked perfectly for removing, installing, and sizing the bushings. The pin was a firm push fit in the bushings. My new king pins wouldn't quite start into the uprights either. The old pins measured .795" and had to be driven out with a drift. I didn't know what fit the pins are supposed to have in the uprights so I briefly ran a 1" ball hone through the upright just to clean things up, but it didn't help. After much consideration, I carefully started the reamer in the upright bore. It's slightly tapered so it starts easily. It barley met any resistance as it passed through the bore with no pressure, just turning gently back and forth. This leads me to believe the upright bore is also 797"or really close to that. I did feel it clean up the area around lock pin hole as it went by. I was then able to gently tap the pin through the bushings and upright with a little brass tack hammer. I'm putting new coil springs in today before I check the camber and toe. Can't wait to test drive it!

DSC07681.jpg

perhaps thats the solution but how to find them in the Netherlands.

dan

You'll need to find an old school garage/machine shop in your area to do the reaming job for you, as said above you have to take the uprights off the car. Ask around any veteran car or hot rod clubs for recommendations it was a common job back in the day that had to be done for most makes of car.

regards.......... Simon.

1 hour ago, Cudan said:

they are from bernbaum and measure .795 the right size ( i checked it ).

the old pins pas easy with extra clearence through the uprights, ( worn out ) perhaps they left some residu inside the uprights.

Yup, that is where I got mine. One side went through with difficulty, the other not at all. I decided to reuse old pins but had to have bushings done again, since they were reamed to the new pins and too big. Long story short, got bushings reamed to the old pins and they fit like they should. Tight but smooth movement. I believe others here have posted about the same experience. I would hesitate to have the uprights machined, if they screw it up and make the hole too big, then you have to have custom pins made to fit. 

26 minutes ago, 61farnham said:

You'll need to find an old school garage/machine shop in your area to do the reaming job for you, as said above you have to take the uprights off the car. Ask around any veteran car or hot rod clubs for recommendations it was a common job back in the day that had to be done for most makes of car.

regards.......... Simon.

i have them already disassembled and wil search for and olskool machine shop .

Dan

11 minutes ago, 50 coupe said:

Yup, that is where I got mine. One side went through with difficulty, the other not at all. I decided to reuse old pins but had to have bushings done again, since they were reamed to the new pins and too big. Long story short, got bushings reamed to the old pins and they fit like they should. Tight but smooth movement. I believe others here have posted about the same experience. I would hesitate to have the uprights machined, if they screw it up and make the hole too big, then you have to have custom pins made to fit. 

ok, i also read others with no problems., the old pins have to much clearence for the uprights the are so worn out they fall out the upright, i will search for a machine shop with the experience to do this job, thanks for your advice.

Dan

Dan 

I had both of Kingpins done by a guy that does alignments and frames.  Although, he didn't want to use his adjustable reamer he cleaned the support just enough for the pins to fit.  Then the bushing were the easy part.  I'm afraid unless you have all the tools there are just some jobs it is best to have done by others.  Also, today I'm doing the bushing on the passenger side.  Again, I wish I remembered to install the bushing in the support before have the kingpin done.

7 hours ago, rekbender said:

I used an old Sears .797" king pin reamer that I bought on Ebay for $20.00' to ream the bushings. It worked perfectly for removing, installing, and sizing the bushings.

@rekbender: Neat that these old tools are still getting used. I wonder what that tool sold for when new?

12 hours ago, 48ply1stcar said:

Dan 

I had both of Kingpins done by a guy that does alignments and frames.  Although, he didn't want to use his adjustable reamer he cleaned the support just enough for the pins to fit.  Then the bushing were the easy part.  I'm afraid unless you have all the tools there are just some jobs it is best to have done by others.  Also, today I'm doing the bushing on the passenger side.  Again, I wish I remembered to install the bushing in the support before have the kingpin done.

hi Harold,

i was not planning to do i my self, too specialized, but with checking the support and pin i ran into it. Perhaps cleaning the support with a high grain sandpaper is also enough.

Dan

3 hours ago, Cudan said:

hi Harold,

i was not planning to do i my self, too specialized, but with checking the support and pin i ran into it. Perhaps cleaning the support with a high grain sandpaper is also enough.

Dan

When I worked in a factory, I used a wooden dowel with a slit cut into one end and then use the slit to anchor emery cloth.  Wrap the cloth grit side outward and use a drill to clean out metal pipes.  My guy used a reamer and a air-ratchet and he just cleaned out the support so that they fit.

Did anyone explain a front end shop?  "Front end" includes things like the front suspension, steering arms, springs, alignment, etc.  In our neck of the woods, a firm may specialize in repairing such things, and would be a Front End Shop. 

So, someone in the Netherlands repairs such things, by whatever name.

Now, rear end is another matter- differential, axle, springs, etc.  That's one meaning.  A lady went into an auto repair shop and complained, "There's a strange noise coming out of my rear end."  The mechanic said, "We'll get it up on the hoist right away." .