Engine and small bits paint question

thebeebe5

On a '37 biz coupe are the brackets such as generator, front  motor mount etc pained along with the engine  or are they a different color?  Realize I can do whatever I want in this regard, but how would they have come from the factory? 

Edit:. The oil fill and breather are clearly black and appear to have always been....  Not a speck of paint left on anything else in the engine compartment to go by on this car....

Edited by thebeebe5

Back in the 60s I bought a 37 Plymouth which had only 51000 miles on it.  All original, never apart even the clutch !

Block , pan, bell housing and all accessories  Black.       Cylinder head  silver.        ( I kept this car for 30 years )

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dpollo said:

Back in the 60s I bought a 37 Plymouth which had only 51000 miles on it.  All original, never apart even the clutch !

Block , pan, bell housing and all accessories  Black.       Cylinder head  silver.        ( I kept this car for 30 years )

That's interesting....   Have any pictures...?  

Short answer,  none that are in a format which would make it possible for me to post here.

it did appear on the cover of the Plymouth Bulletin #200 in 1993 and again in side Bulletin #331 (March April 2015) p 32 dressed up in military gear as a staff car.  This issue is still available and is dedicated to the 37 Plymouths.  The Plymouth Bulletin is the publication of the Plymouth Owners Club and I can recommend it highly.

Edited by dpollo
more information added

16 minutes ago, dpollo said:

Short answer,  none that are in a format which would make it possible for me to post here.

What format do you use? 

Prints from a 120  or a 35 millimeter camera.   Note that I bought this car in 1968 and sold it in 1998.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chrysler1941 said:

Interesting all was black.  This pic from 1941 shows factory test run on new engines. Obviously not a Plymouth, but note the filler tube.

Unlike the resource page and in many threads, it's stated they were black. 

1941 Factory.png

Good image.  The resource states filler tubes were all black, or the engines at that point?

keep in mind the resources page is aimed at the 46-48 cars. That engine looks to be 30s to me judging by the air cleaner, the oil cap, and the generator adjustment. 

7 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

keep in mind the resources page is aimed at the 46-48 cars. That engine looks to be 30s to me judging by the air cleaner, the oil cap, and the generator adjustment. 

46-48 ok didn't know that.

I guess the air cleaner was a factory test equipment connected to external air hose. It's a snap from a film clip dated 1941. also shown are their latest models. It's available on YouTube

1 minute ago, chrysler1941 said:

46-48 ok didn't know that.

I guess the air cleaner was a factory test equipment connected to external air hose. It's a snap from a film clip dated 1941. also shown are their latest models. It's available on YouTube

Hmm I would have thought 30s from looking at it. Also the possibility they fancied it up a little for the film. 

• Like 1

Just now, Young Ed said:

Hmm I would have thought 30s from looking at it. Also the possibility they fancied it up a little for the film. 

:lol: Well that's how my engine looks, except the air cleaner, the long radiator tube, and the huge dyno-something to load it at the rear.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Look back at the  transmission  shift levers   newer than 40.  Upfront,  wide belt, earlier than 50   

Just now, dpollo said:

Look back at the  transmission  shift levers   newer than 40.  Upfront,  wide belt, earlier than 50   

looks like it still has a lever operated starter which I believe stopped after 42

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dpollo said:

Look back at the  t   newer than 40.  Upfront,  wide belt, earlier than 50   

What do you mean by "transmission  shift levers" ? Is it the side mounted throttle linkage ? My car has this system and don't know when they moved it to the head.

16 hours ago, Young Ed said:

looks like it still has a lever operated starter which I believe stopped after 42

Yes this engine is lever operated. So definitely not a Chrysler or DeSoto as they had starter solenoid.

Edited by chrysler1941

22 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

1941 ..png

From the lack of visible bolt heads under the carb I believe its a 23" block. It's been fun studying these pictures. 

31 minutes ago, chrysler1941 said:

Yes this engine is lever operated. So definitely not a Chrysler or DeSoto as they had starter solenoid.

8 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

What do you mean by "transmission  shift levers" ? Is it the side mounted throttle linkage ? My car has this system and don't know when they moved it to the head.

If you look back at the rransmission, the shift lever are visible on the side.  About one inch up and one inch in from the bottom right corner.

The low -reverse selector is typical of 42 to 48.  The 40's low reverse lever was  shorter, had a forward facing hole and did not have the  curve up and over the top of its mounting bolt.

The throttle linkage fastened to the head is the give away.  It has to be 41 or  42.     46 had a bell crank on top of the head  between cylinders 3 and 4

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dpollo said:

If you look back at the rransmission, the shift lever are visible on the side.  About one inch up and one inch in from the bottom right corner.

The low -reverse selector is typical of 42 to 48.  The 40's low reverse lever was  shorter, had a forward facing hole and did not have the  curve up and over the top of its mounting bolt.

The throttle linkage fastened to the head is the give away.  It has to be 41 or  42.     46 had a bell crank on top of the head  between cylinders 3 and 4

Great Mopar knowledge. Thank you for the clarification  :)

• Like 1