Coronet BOdy Removal

kansascoronetguy

Hi guys im starting my first ever rebuild from frame up, on a 50 coronet, right now I have the Body dislodged from the frame but need some suggestion on lifting, removing and storing the body for frame restoration. Front Suspension and motor are completely removed but rear end and wheels are still on. 

I also do not have an overhead hoist system just a cherry picker and some jack stands and good ole american muscle. 

I remove bodies at home by myself with two floor jacks, jack stands and 6 x 6 cross beams and inch it up a bit in the front equally both side...set and block my beam...inch in in same manner in the rear...set and block rear beam till I have it approx. 32 inches off ground.  This give me clearance to remove wheels and place the 4 drums on car dollies and roll the chassis out from under the vehicle...you can do other methods but then lifts, chain falls, sling and such will come into play...now if you got a gang of friends...this would go fast and easy and dead man lift and walk it off.  

I offered this as a guide...be sure you are on dry and level preferred concrete when setting this in the air..as a added...I used 8 jack stands...two for each corner parallel with the body...a short beam set on these stand..the long beam sit on the short beam..after clearing he initial frame and inserting your cross beam...you can jack the body from this cross beam till you gain the height to roll out....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

The wood beams are fine but there's still the issue of the small jack stands supporting them.  I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the jack stands negate the reason for the wood beams in the first place.  I've face a similar problem and have come to the conclusion for my own piece of mind to stack wood beams on the concrete as a fail-safe to such a height as to prevent the body from crushing you if something goes wrong.