Oil filter fo 52 B3

Looks like the sock type filter common with the Deluxe Filters. Mine calls for a JC cartridge, which crosses to the Wix 51011 or Napa 1011. These are a very tight fit. You can sometimes roll them on a hard surface to get them a bit skinnier to get them in, but they are still a bugger to get in. I found that the Baldwin JC405 is another cross that fits well. If you can't get the Wix to fit find a Baldwin dealer and get some JC405's

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wallytoo said:

i hate buying from sellers/suppliers that don't bother to accurately describe the product.  "spin-on filter"?  i think not.

Then don't buy from them. The correct part and a great price. I can overlook human error.

the problem is in the fact that the picture and description don't match.  i have purchased an item on ebay based on the description (the picture wouldn't load), but ended up with something different (which matched the picture that loaded after the auction).  that was a pita to resolve, and i'm not inclined to do that again.

but, by all means, have at it.  it's only money, and time.

Probably not all filter manufacturers used that style. Mine is from the Deluxe Filter company of LaPorte,IN and it has that same perforated dome under the lid. As I understand it's function, by studying the design, the oil is pumped into the center tube from the bottom and comes out a couple of holes in the side of the tube. The oil then migrates through the sock filter and comes up through the perforated dome to pool under the cover where it can reach the Outlet port and drain back into the engine sump. 

P8070335.jpg

PA090534.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

No, that perforated dome must stay with the cover. That holds the filter down and gives a space for the filtered oil to collect and reach the drain hole. 

I am having a heck of a time getting the top on with this filter anyone have tips? What am I missing here? 

8 minutes ago, JaysonK said:

I am having a heck of a time getting the top on with this filter anyone have tips? What am I missing here? 

You probably need to press the filter into the canister more. Before I made the switch to Baldwins I had one that was so tight that I had to remove the T-bolt and use a longer bolt to draw down the cover and squeeze the filter down more. Then switch back to the T-bolt to finish the installation. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help.......it seams it just takes some force to make it fit, I have taken it out on a test drive and seams everything is working. What a pain in the neck i wonder if the original filter was a pain to get in. 

Edited by JaysonK

On July 30, 2017 at 5:00 PM, cavisco1 said:

Just curious, when these oversized filters are crushed down and forced to fit, does any oil pass through them at all?

That is a good question. I would think that when the filter is crushed, the air pockets are removed thereby eliminating the path the oil travels in. Doesn't sound like a good thing to do.

7 minutes ago, B1B Keven said:

I used the Wix filter and had no fitment problems.

I've heard that Wix made a change and corrected the fitment issue, but there must still be a lot of the previous, oversized, ones out there. You are the first I've heard that a Wix brand fit well. I only use Baldwin now as they seem to fit better than the Napa brand (rebranded Wix) that I've used in the past

Not to belabor the point but it would be nice to find a filter like the one in th epic I posted, lol....I'm not sure the brand and I hope it has not been installed on in my truck more than a year or two ago, before me it was not run that much but it was running.