Strange engine #

good one Reg.....lets see...REX  rebuilt engine exchange; 60019 Des Plains Illionis but the two don't match on a search...I would almost bet the EX engine exchange is on target but R could stand for any company name.....just spit-balling here.....tracking this could be easy or could prove to be a real puzzler..would guess also the 60019 is the actual count of the engine built and the specs and such are filed under that serial number for any returns, warranty or inquiry to components used.

maybe a ask about, if this truck was local when you got it, as to an older machine shop/builder company with those initial...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

HRT..on your engine, is there a rebuilder tag on or near the dividing line of the block and oil pan?  I believe builders will mill the original numbers from the block and affix their tag...at least, the one Jasper built engine I had here in the '59 D100 was machined is that fashion.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

The only thing that I have found is the corner of a riveted tag right over the freeze plug hole right below the pad. It could very well be rebuilt and would agree with a theory that I have about the life of this engine.

This is a 25" engine with factory dual carbs and dual exhaust. Somewhere along the line throttle governors were added under the carbs because the linkage going from the manifold up to each carb was extended for them by welding in more material in the middle. When I got the engine the butterflies were missing out of the governors. I suspect this engine saw some abuse.... lol

Supposedly it is out of an old fire truck - which jives with some other information I had about a factory dual carb truck in the same basic area that I was trying to track down.

20170713_190131.jpg.9e85ad2d8f62bfdf30513d4089230e5e.jpg

it is a shame that tag is missing.....I would feel reasonably certain that would be a rebuilder ID tag...

over the years with folks trying to just maintain these vehicles through any junkyard parts they could find, it is a nightmare to say what came form where and with no degree of saying this is stock..they are  however a great source for pondering/imagining and nightmare to document....adds to the fun.

I am trying to decode a 62 dodge fender tag, guess what....nothing on the dedicated sites or the internet found that is close to workable...kinda an aggravation...seems 63 is about as retro as the mopar ventures go in the 60's..I have not given up, just talked to a guy who says he has some data but needs to know the assembly plant as in 62 each used their own code system..fun fun fun

1 hour ago, HotRodTractor said:

Interesting. I've got an engine at home with no number on it at all. Its still raw cast on the top and side.

I have one like that in FEF, no number!  And no rebuilder tag or hole from a rivet.

The allpar site says that Chrysler sold unnumbered bare blocks to various rebuilding companies.  Those companies were supposed to stamp numbers or tag them as they were assembled.   I would speculate that did not happen 100% of the time, perhaps they got sold or traded over the course of doing business or going out of business, and some of these blocks went feral, escaped into the world with no pedigree so to speak.  Maybe some even got Johnny Cashed, liberated by enterprising employees, or theives. 

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:41 PM, ggdad1951 said:

I have one like that in FEF, no number!  And no rebuilder tag or hole from a rivet.

Mark do you have a 25" complete combo ? Charlie Stephenson, I'm looking a 1948 COE 100% complete haven't seen pics yet but here its rust and dent free I'll see. .

• 4 months later...