pinion seal

Cannuck

Looking for advice on a problem I thought I had dealt with .

First a little history about my problem .I had noticed that the pinion seal was leaking while getting my Dodge ready for safety. I ordered a new seal and was having it changed by a qualified mechanic during inspection.after removing the old seal it was noted that the new seal was different that the one that was removed .The shoulder was not as thick .

I contacted the good people who had sold me the seal and they confirmed it was the correct seal , so I had the garage install it .Well while fixing my headlight problem I was under the car and noticed that the seal was leaking . 

I am wondering if the thiner seal is the problem , the pinion spacer may not be doing its job or it may  be the wrong seal . I was lead to believe that the seal was the same for multiple years.

The car is a 1948 dodge D25.

Thanks 

There are two different seals.  One is virtually the same as the original, while the other is more like a modern seal with a flat flange,

Both should work if the input flange is not worn.   Before blaming the seal itself, check that it is not leaking around the  splines behind the pinion nut  and also check that the differential vent  (this doubles as the bolt holding the brake fitting in place) is not plugged which will allow pressure to build up in the housing.

If your input flange is worn, a speedi sleeve can be installed over the worn area.     D25s use a spicer joint unlike the USA built cars...    in case you were thinking of replacing the input flange.

Thank you for replying.

I took the differential vent off (it was plugged) cleaned it and replaced it I also cleaned up the gear oil of  t he bottom of the car and will be checking to see if its a fix.

Thank you once again 

Just an update ,cleaning the differential seems to have solved the problem.Went for a 25 mile dive with no leakage. Will keep my eye on it . 

Thanks again

John

Edited by Cannuck
Successful fix

The NAtional Oil and Grease seal for a 1946-48 D24 is number 5851.  the same seal crosses over to the Victor seal number 49230

Hope this helps you to get the correct seal

Rich Hartung 

desoto1939@aol.com

• 7 months later...

Well I finally got around to changing the pinion seal .What a job it took forever to remove the old seal ,I did as recommended and drilled holes in the flange of the seal and put in metal screws to pull on , still it was quite a gob to get it out . I replaced it with the seal recommended by Desoto 1939 thanks again. 

It was fun trying to tap the new seal into place,after many attempts i was finally successful.