Air cooler

4 hours ago, Mike36 said:

I am far from an expert on conditioned air, but I do not see this as a swamp cooler if the air passing through it is contained in pvc pipe and not exposed to the atmosphere surrounding the ice. My understanding of swamp coolers is that they are evaporative coolers . The air passing through is cooled by the evaporation of water. That is not what I see phlamings apparatus doing. If the air entering it is contained in pvc pipe and run back and forth in the bottom of the cooler a few times, the ice and ice water in the cooler will cool the air because the pvc pipe will be cold. And the moisture content of the air will not be raised because the air is not exposed to the melting ice. Don't know how well it will work, but do know 82 degrees is better than 92 degrees. How about it HVAC guys, what ya thinking?

This post is thought provoking, my intent is to force air flow through and across the ice, a swamp cooler of sorts. Will stay with that for now, but other idea are intriguing.. Tomorrow a trip to my electrical advisor for a final check of the alternator. That is a nice 60 mile round trip anough to give it a bit of a test. May through in a bag of ice and a few cool ones and test the cooler as well. 

Edited by pflaming

On 7/29/2017 at 7:28 PM, pflaming said:

Mike I agree, if the air inside the box is not controlled, then it will take the shortest route from the intake to the blower so it must travel "through the ice". I'm thinking a vertical baffle might accomplish that. Keep in mind that some " beverages"  like to be very cold, which means the source for coolant is user's choice! The Michigan user might select something different than say one in the U.K.! 

Attached is today's progress, 90%  time figuring things out, 10% time getting it done

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

MMMMM   Stewarts!!!   Awesome stuff

Current status: there are two gallons of frozen water in the cooler and the six volt fan  motor was sourced by 12 volts which gave a nice air flow. That  motor will have to be replaced. After 15 minutes the temp of exhausting air did not decrease. I will let it rest for a couple of hours and let the cooler interior cool down, then run it again. But I don't think it will cool much if the air temp  is not drawn via tubes or drawn through a cooler mat of some making. I think otherwise the air passes so quickly from intake to  exhaust that it does not cool. Well, nothing ventured nothing gained. 

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

What does the inside of that thing look like???  If you are thinking you are going to get a temp drop by drawing air across the surface of a block of ice, I think you are going to be disappointed.  You need to draw the air through the ice, so crushed ice not block, and inlet air directed to the bottom of the cooler, and pulled through the chips to the out let or through some sort of manifold for several laps before it exits the blower.  Even so I wouldn't expect more than a 5 or 6 degree temp reduction between in and out with continuous operation.

I do believe you are correct. Some thing has to cool the air. And I do not believe the hester motor and fan moves enough air nor creates enough pressure to force anything. We are Leaving Friday for a week vacation with our entire family, so all now is set aside. Will rethink this later. 

Edited by pflaming