In need of bore specifications

thebeebe5

Need to check the main bore and rod big ends for bearing fitment for the '37 201.  Can anyone direct me to a source or perhaps a shop that is familiar with these L engines that might be able to assist?  Duffee has only done one other, and it was a '28 Chrysler that had babbitt bearings.  They actually welded that crank up for an off the shelf insert bearing, so we can't use prior information for my build.  

The bore in the 201 is 3 1/8 and it can be bored as much as .125  although .o60 was usually considered maximum.

The crankshaft bearings are smaller than the 217 230.   The 201engine was last used in the  41 models.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dpollo said:

The bore in the 201 is 3 1/8 and it can be bored as much as .125  although .o60 was usually considered maximum.

The crankshaft bearings are smaller than the 217 230.   The 201engine was last used in the  41 models.

Thanks dpollo.  I need the main bore secs so we can line hone the mains and have the bearings fit porperly.  Likewise the rod big ends. 

2 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Suggest you carry your crankshaft and rods to an automotive machine shop and let them do the measurements and check for needed grinding. They can also order the correct bearing inserts.

Excellent advice, Don.  Can you peovide me with the name of a shop that is familiar with these engines please?

26 minutes ago, thebeebe5 said:

Excellent advice, Don.  Can you peovide me with the name of a shop that is familiar with these engines please?

a quality machine shop would be all to familiar with these engines....how can you in AZ expect a guy in Indiana recommend a shop.....get with the local parts supplier, NAPA may be one of your choices, they will know who is the go to...if not them...get with the local car clubs etc and socialize for a few contacts...be proactive...shake the bushes if you must...

1 minute ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

a quality machine shop would be all to familiar with these engines....how can you in AZ expect a guy in Indiana recommend a shop.....get with the local parts supplier, NAPA may be one of your choices, they will know who is the go to...if not them...get with the local car clubs etc and socialize for a few contacts...be proactive...shake the bushes if you must...

I've been shaking @Plymouthy Adams

I work at the machine shop.  We aren't familiar with this engine and at this point I need to line hone this block and resize the rods, but I have no specs for this engine.  SBC?  Easy.   SBF?  Done.  1963 426 max wedge?  Just finished one this spring.  Vintage  Alfa romeo, Ferrari, jaguar all numbers we have. I don't care where the shop is located.  I can call someone in Austrailia and ask for specs if needed, but I need a name. It's my personal car and if I wanted the easy route id toss this motor in favor of a SBF and be done, but I want this car original.  

Just have to find the right tree.  Hoped the name of a shop someone here was familiar with would work.  I'll find the numbers somehow....

• Like 1

I do not know why you would need to line bore a 1937 block if the bearings looked normal and all the crank needed was a regrind. Put the under size bearings in an move on.

The only time we line bored was when there was a failure

Just my option

6 minutes ago, bones44 said:

I do not know why you would need to line bore a 1937 block if the bearings looked normal and all the crank needed was a regrind. Put the under size bearings in an move on.

The only time we line bored was when there was a failure

Just my option

It may not need it, but we check every single block here.  

• Like 1

Motors Manual   have all the bearing specs.   The 35 to 51 series should be around any shop with a grey haired technician.   If not, I will dig them out for you.

I do not recollect any Plymouth  six block needing an align bore.  The rods, however should be checked and resized if needed.

15 hours ago, dpollo said:

Motors Manual   have all the bearing specs.   The 35 to 51 series should be around any shop with a grey haired technician.   If not, I will dig them out for you.

I do not recollect any Plymouth  six block needing an align bore.  The rods, however should be checked and resized if needed.

Thanks dpollo.  I'll check the bore this week. My real job is light on Wednesday and maybe I can do it then.  Fingers crossed it doesn't need it. 

I'll; see if this Block/ Rod bore info is in my Federal Mogul Engine Bearing books tonight.

10 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I'll; see if this Block/ Rod bore info is in my Federal Mogul Engine Bearing books tonight.

Thanks.   Our F/M and Clevite books goes back to a 218, but no further... 

I checked with the machinist who did some work for me last winter. He found the rod bore to be 2.0420" to 2.0430", but only the 218 block bore. Hope this helps.

Rob the machinist just called and said one of the bearing suppliers came up with a 201 block bore of 2.407" but no plus or minus. Bearings are available in std, .010, .020, .030, .040, and .060.

@rekbender, thank you!   Ordered bearings from Bernbaum and asked them, but they didn't have the information.   Hoping the bearings they send are correct.

What bearing supplier does your pal use?  Tried to find mine on my own through F/M and Clevite using cross reference numbers from Todd Fitch's site after the bearing manufacturer's books appeared to not go back quite that far, but no luck.  

I also reached out to and received a call back from Tom Langdon. He believes he has some rod specs, but says they're dependent on rod casting numbers. Might just be to verify the year and proper rod size.  I'll get back to him this evening with what I have and see if we can get it all nailed down.  I'll feel great if his info matches yours.  

B)

Edited by thebeebe5

I do not think you are going to find the bore specs...as was stated earlier the need to bore is almost nil, unless you have lost all the main caps and refitting with some from another block...why do you need a line bore...and if you do grind the caps and line bore it will be back to the very specs you have now only with an assurance of the bore being straight after "any if any" core shift....

15 minutes ago, thebeebe5 said:

@rekbender, thank you!   Ordered bearings from Bernbaum and asked them, but they didn't have the information.   Hoping the bearings they send are correct.

What bearing supplier does your pal use?  Tried to find mine on my own through F/M and Clevite using cross reference numbers from Todd Fitch's site after the bearing manufacturer's books appeared to not go back quite that far, but no luck.  

I also reached out to and received a call back from Tom Langdon. He believes he has some rod specs, but says they're dependent on rod casting numbers. I'll get back to him this evening with what I have and see if we can get it all nailed down.  I'll feel great if his info matches yours.  

B)

Here's the phone number of the warehouse:  800 768 3646

• Like 1

check again the very thread of June 24 started by you...the specs were given....I could not scan a page so I deleted my posting of them as you seemed not to believe what I take out of my book..later another member scanned the book page with the data...this is another good point for keeping your topics compile to a single thread and not over several posts..not bitching mind you...but it helps keep things straight and concise...

15 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

check again the very thread of June 24 started by you...the specs were given....I could not scan a page so I deleted my posting of them as you seemed not to believe what I take out of my book..later another member scanned the book page with the data...this is another good point for keeping your topics compile to a single thread and not over several posts..not bitching mind you...but it helps keep things straight and concise...

I have those spec pages copied    They do not include rod resizing data nor do they include line bore sizing.

Well I cannot help you with my Federal Mogul engine bearing books.

I left them with the machine shop that's doing a dodge truck engine for me as they needed it for spec's on a 413 six I'm rebuilding.:(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Is that the motor with 12 ports instead of 9 ?

Yes it's a 12 port  30" engine.